WAMC 3.98/524 + School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1132328

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can consider adding Baylor, UTSW, and Stony Brook. Swap Iowa in for Indiana. You should receive several interviews.

Thank you! I was told my list was too top heavy, as my premed advisor didn't think my clinical experience could really be counted as clinical experience, is that something I should be concerned about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I was told my list was too top heavy, as my premed advisor didn't think my clinical experience could really be counted as clinical experience, is that something I should be concerned about?
It seems like you were employed to coordinate care, handle insurance, and worked closely with patients to address various critical aspects of their lives. I think that is good clinical experience as you would have many things to write about in your personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
<< Working as a health advocate to address patients' determinants of health (health care, housing, food/nutrition/etc.), half of these hours are through follow-ups on the phone, and half are bedside visits, so not sure if all these hours are counted as clinical. >>

I agree I'm unsure if it maps to my rubric as being "clinical." Can you give me an argument why it is clinical? How is this different from your non-clinical work as an advocate/counselor at the free clinic? I'm missing context on what you are doing during your bedside sessions.

What have you already done networking with the California medical schools and other OOS schools? Your metrics should make you highly desirable, so I am hoping the rest of your application will deliver. You need to make them want you.

So, during bedside sessions, I am generally working with the patient based on a referral we received from either the patients' provider or social/caseworker to address a concern that was brought up either about their housing, health insurance, etc. During that time, I will discuss the issue with the patient and assist them in applying to various public/private programs that will best address those needs whether that be WIC, CalFresh, Section 8 Housing waitlists, or legal referrals. This program is pretty big at the hospital I work, as it is a safety net hospital.

So I am not necessarily providing health care to the patient, which is why I am concerned that this may not count as a clinical experience. But on the other hand, I am working with the patient face to face and with healthcare providers during bedside consults to address issues that are affecting the patients' health and general wellbeing, which was why I was considering listing this as a clinical experience.

For networking, I have been attending various recruitment fairs, esp for OOS schools. For California medical schools, through research, I have been working with professors at UCSF/Stanford. Is there anything you would recommend I could do, in addition to recruitment fairs?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, during bedside sessions, I am generally working with the patient based on a referral we received from either the patients' provider or social/caseworker to address a concern that was brought up either about their housing, health insurance, etc. During that time, I will discuss the issue with the patient and assist them in applying to various public/private programs that will best address those needs whether that be WIC, CalFresh, Section 8 Housing waitlists, or legal referrals. This program is pretty big at the hospital I work, as it is a safety net hospital.

So I am not necessarily providing health care to the patient, which is why I am concerned that this may not count as a clinical experience. But on the other hand, I am working with the patient face to face and with healthcare providers during bedside consults to address issues that are affecting the patients' health and general wellbeing, which was why I was considering listing this as a clinical experience.

For networking, I have been attending various recruitment fairs, esp for OOS schools. For California medical schools, through research, I have been working with professors at UCSF/Stanford. Is there anything you would recommend I could do, in addition to recruitment fairs?
Interesting... it's important social work which is usually not considered clinical. Doctors don't get paid to do what you did (or any nurses or health providers). It's really important work, even community service arguably. You might be in a good position to observe or shadow physician-patient interactions but it is not your primary job. I get why you are thinking as you have been.

I'd ask so many admissions professionals and faculty where they like to draw the line, but I give you my opinion based on training and conversations I have had.

That makes sense, will definitely try to address that and get more clinical experience focused more on physician-patient interactions. Thank you!

If volunteering in an ER restocking gloves and handing out water counts as clinical experience (no shade just saying), then care coordination forsure counts.

Reactions: 1 users