WAMC 3.99 cGPA, 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhpboy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
*****PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE POST^^^^^^^^THANK YOU*****************

c*****PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THE POST^^^^^^^^THANK YOU*****************
Aim a little higher.
I suggest:
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSD,
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
All SUNYs

Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering if there are any parts of my app you would be concerned about? I thought my clinical experience was kind of low (of course I'm going to be continuing to get hours through volunteering, but still).
The mission trip will be viewed as medical tourism, and discounted.
300 clinical hours are great
Personally, I prefer non-clinical volunteering to be done off campus and out of your comfort zone, but 500 hours as an RA volunteer is also fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I phrased the hours wrong when I wrote it in the post. As of the time I sent in my primary, I listed 300 hours as the completed AND projected hours amount on amcas, but that includes next years worth of hours as well. By the time I submitted my primary, I only had 100 hours of volunteering, but I did that within a semesters worth of time, so I projected 300 on my app since I will be doing 2 more semesters of volunteering before presumably matriculating.
Words are easy, doing is harder. You'll be far more attractive with those hours actually done.

Yes, I understand that. As it stands, do you still think I have a decent chance with the school list I mentioned? I will be accruing hours as the year goes on but I'm not sure if having only the 100 hours I have currently will hurt me a ton. I already applied and have most of the secondaries submitted, so just looking for advice as to whether I am likely to get interviews or not. Thanks!
Having 100 hours right now, especially when you're aiming high, is not good. SDNers who have shared what it took to get into Really Top Schools have hundreds, if not even 1000s of hours of clinical and/or nonclinical ECs.

Hmm, alright. Thanks for the good points. It seems like I have a much lower chance than I thought at all the schools in my current list. Do you think I will find success somewhere this cycle, or does it look bleak?
Applicants should ALWAYS consider themselves rejected until they have the accept email in thier Inbox.

Reactions: 1 user
So I guess the answer is it looks bleak huh...Alright well thanks for the advice! If it doesn't turn out well for me this cycle I will be sure to reassess and hopefully I can do better next cycle. And I will surely not count my chickens before they have hatched. Have a wonderful weekend btw :).
You have no reason to be so pessimistic. You should receive several interviews from your original list. You are in the top 1% for GPA and top 10% for MCAT.

Oh! I forgot to ask, do you think I should consider applying DO? I didn't mention it in the post, but I have shadowed a DO before and can probably ask him for a letter of recommendation. I also already have an MD letter of recommendation I'm sending to every school anyway. Thanks for all the advice again, really appreciate it!
Try DO only if you're shut out this cycle.

add quinnipiac and hackensack to your original i think

Even with the low clinical hours?

I think you have a great chance with your original list. I would consider Goro's advice and add a few more schools in the upper half of his list if you have the money

Status
Not open for further replies.