This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monica Ahedor

Reaction score
Hi! I know this sounds dumb, but I am only applying to the University of Oklahoma this cycle. I have a scholarship from them that pays for 2.5 years of my tuition. If I get rejected this cycle, I will apply again (because I will still have my scholarship) and apply to other schools as well, but for now it's just the University of Oklahoma because it is significantly cheaper.

1. GPA: 4.0
  2. MCAT: 502 125/124/127/126 :(
  3. State of residency: Oklahoma
  4. Ethnicity/race: Black
  5. Undergraduate institution: University of Oklahoma
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): I have about 250 hours of clinical experience and hope to get at least 50 more hours by next year.
  7. Research experience and productivity: I have been involved with four research labs. I started research when I was in high school. I have presented a poster, done a competition (won second place), and have an abstract publication. I have about 900 hours in total.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 90 hours 40 with family physician, 30 with OBGYN, and 20 with Orthopedic surgeon
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: I have about 400 hours. I volunteer as a tutor, on a farm, and with an organization that helps provide medical equipment to hospitals in Ghana (my parents country of origin).
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Am treasurer for the University of Oklahoma's Integrity Council (they handle academic misconduct), am a Peer Educator (similar to teaching assistant), I am also Speakers Chair for a conference that helps educate high school students about the medical field held by the University of Oklahoma, I was a Student Government Rep (only or a semester though), and I am currently a tutor (middle and high school students)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: 2nd place at a symposium where I presented my poster
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Lived in Oklahoma my entire life.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But no acceptance I'm assuming?
It will depend on the interview. IF the MCAT comes up, do not start giving excuses (My stomach was hurting and I powered through, etc). You should demonstrate your significant ties to the state and why you want to be a doctor. Just nail the interview and you can put yourself in the best position.

Reactions: 1 users
It will depend on the interview. IF the MCAT comes up, do not start giving excuses (My stomach was hurting and I powered through, etc). You should demonstrate your significant ties to the state and why you want to be a doctor. Just nail the interview and you can put yourself in the best position.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. I'll definitely start preparing for the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive at Oklahoma. Do they have an early decision program, if your heart is set on Oklahoma?

It will really come down to the interview. You’re a solid candidate, but you have to put up at least a decent interview.

Be prepared to reapply. Most applicants get 3 interviews for every acceptance. Your odds might be better than that, especially with a good interview, but be prepared.

Given your profile here, you probably have a strong chance if you don't find a way to eliminate yourself in the process. But an acceptance is never guaranteed for a regular applicant. Don't carry an expectation that you have a seat until you get an offer.