WAMC - 4.0/522, want to do in-state, ED but average EC's.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
cGPA: 4.00 sGPA: 4.00, B.S. in Chemistry
MCAT: 522

Paid clinical experience: Currently work as a Study Coordinator in Pulmonary Department at my in-state academic hospital (attached to the medical school I'd do ED for) since August. I've gotten about 600 hours of clinical experience by conducting study visits, so I obtain informed consent, do clinical measurements like height/weight/bp, I do breathing tests, exercise tests, I assist in research bronchoscopies, get detailed medical histories, etc. I'm also training in phlebotomy and will be doing blood draws by July.
Clinical volunteering: I began volunteering at my local hospital in the "No One Dies Alone" program last fall, you sit vigil next to patients who have no visitors in their last 72 hours. However there aren't many vigils, the two I got a shift for the patient died before I showed up, and the program was suspended in March due to COVID. I did do a lot of training for it though, about 15 hours worth. I wasn't going to list on AMCAS but it was on my resume of activities I sent to letter writers so if anyone mentions it I don't want there to be any discrepancies, I figure just be honest.
Nonclinical voluteering: ~60 hours. Since Nov 2018 have volunteered twice a month to cook dinner at a homeless shelter for women in drug detox, I occasionally cook and clean alongside women with kitchen privileges but most the time it's a small group of me + family and some friends.
Research: 600 hours over 2 years, no pubs as study I worked on had no good results but a good LOR from my PI who I worked closely with
Shadowing: ~30 hours--radiologist, OB/GYN, family med, internal med, plastic surgeon
EC/employment:
-Worked 30 hrs/week at a restaurant during school year, 40-50 during summers throughout all four years of undergrad. I was trained on all front-of-house positions, was a "certified" (lol, it was Chili's) trainer so I trained new employees on any FOH position. Got conversant in Spanish here--partially because I met my boyfriend whose native language is Spanish at Chili's, partially because kitchen was all Spanish speaking. My family isn't poor but I did have to support myself in college so I spent most of my free time working.
-Worked as a Legal Assistant in a medical malpractice firm last summer. Definitely gave me some good perspective on malpractice.
-Organic Chemistry II TA for two semesters, apprx 100 hours.
-Was "Social Media Coordinator" for Be the Match (organization promoting bone marrow donation) my freshman year
-Recently organized an ongoing "virtual" bone marrow drive + fundraiser for my chemistry advisor who needed a bone marrow transplant, hoping to recruit 100 donors but it's hard to recruit in a virtual drive.
-Awards: got a 50% merit scholarship freshman year, graduated with a departmental award, also graduated Summa Cum Laude
LOR: PI from research lab, professor of inorganic chemistry who I was top student in his class + worked alongside him to hold bone marrow donor drive for advisor, my manager for my current job as a Study Coordinator (he knows me a lot better than the PI's I work with and is well known at the school, he's done pulmonary research here for the last 30 years)

I am not aiming high. I'd really just like to attend my mid-tier in-state school (University of Utah)--my boyfriend is going to law school here, I loved undergrad here, my sister is in remission from cancer and will hopefully not need any future surgeries/relapse but it's just myself and my mom here to take care of her. For that reason I was debating doing ED but I'm not sure if my EC's are too weak to do that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your lack of nonclinical volunteering might be lethal. Your social media coordination and the bone marrow drive count as nonclinical volunteering, though. Might you have spent 100 hours on that? Include it, you're badly hurting for nonclinical volunteering.

Reactions: 1 user
I also note your clinical exposure is obviously banking on the application summer for your hours, which obviously is now a big drawback to your application. Given your unique situation to stay in-state, you need to be sure this doesn't work against you. Have you gotten any feedback from admissions recruiters about this? Can you defer your application to next year, given the big challenges you and your family are facing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your lack of nonclinical volunteering might be lethal. Your social media coordination and the bone marrow drive count as nonclinical volunteering, though. Might you have spent 100 hours on that? Include it, you're badly hurting for nonclinical volunteering.

I've spent about 150 hours between those; I listed the drive as "Leadership," since Be the Match isn't at my school anymore and I had to find a different organization for the drive. I didn't place BTM under my nonclinical volunteering here, but I did on my AMCAS app. So that would give me an extra 100 hours in that category.

I also note your clinical exposure is obviously banking on the application summer for your hours, which obviously is now a big drawback to your application. Given your unique situation to stay in-state, you need to be sure this doesn't work against you. Have you gotten any feedback from admissions recruiters about this? Can you defer your application to next year, given the big challenges you and your family are facing?

I've been working at my job now since August 2019--so I've gotten 600 hours under my belt since then. I'm just adding the phlebotomy training this summer, my boss didn't ask me do it until another coordinator left. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm not sure if that's what you meant by my exposure banking on the application summer--that it seemed like I hadn't actually gotten any experience yet?

Are you willing to attend medical school OOS or are you planning to apply only to Utah ?

I was thinking of doing ED to Utah this cycle, and if it doesn't work out apply widely next year. I'm not sure if applying ED would improve or hurt my chances of getting accepted to the U.

I was thinking of doing ED to Utah this cycle, and if it doesn't work out apply widely next year. I'm not sure if applying ED would improve or hurt my chances of getting accepted to the U.
If that is your strategy then accumulate more clinical and non clinical volunteering hours in the next year in case you need to reapply next year.

I've spent about 150 hours between those; I listed the drive as "Leadership," since Be the Match isn't at my school anymore and I had to find a different organization for the drive. I didn't place BTM under my nonclinical volunteering here, but I did on my AMCAS app. So that would give me an extra 100 hours in that category.
Personally, I think you are a shoo-in for your state school. One teensy weakness in an otherwise outstanding application will not keep you out of med school.

Personally, I think you are a shoo-in for your state school. One teensy weakness in an otherwise outstanding application will not keep you out of med school.

Thank you for the confidence, seriously. I've been stressing this morning and your comment really boosted me up a bit.

I would reach out to the school's admissions staff where you want to send an early decision application to get their feedback before submitting.

What is the best way to go about this? I've heard this said in other threads before concerning ED, and I've never quite understood the best way to do it without looking like a blithering buffoon...Email or phone call? Ask for generic advice about what they look for in ED applicants, or provide them with the actual specifics of my application?

What is the best way to go about this? I've heard this said in other threads before concerning ED, and I've never quite understood the best way to do it without looking like a blithering buffoon...Email or phone call? Ask for generic advice about what they look for in ED applicants, or provide them with the actual specifics of my application?
Email. No one is at the office answering phones.

Really makes me wonder when young folks “stress” about med school with a 4.0/522

Reactions: 2 users
Utah had you divide your acitvies into discrete categories (similar to on primary) and has "required" and "competitive" numbers of hours for each. If you don't meet the required about in a given category, your app will not be considered. If you meet all requirements, and if you are in the competitive range for most, as an in-state applicant, you are in a very good position. You can always call if you have more questions about the process, they are answering office phones right now, but they are very transparent about what they are looking for if you browse their website and social media.