MD WAMC - 4.0 and 517

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deacsdaig

Reaction score
Basic Stats:
  • 4.0 GPA, 517 MCAT (130, 130, 128, 129)
  • White female
  • Biomedical Engineering Major, Chemistry Minor
  • Undergraduate school around top 40, but higher for my degree
  • Home state: MI
Research:
  • 120 Hours in biomedical engineering lab, mostly data analysis and debugging code
  • 1000-1200 Hours in Immunology lab, possible first author paper out soon (seems unlikely but I can hope)
Clinical:
  • 150-200 hours volunteer EMT
  • 20 hours shadowing (around 27 if I include senior in HS shadowing)
  • 25 hours Hospital Volunteer - met with and interacted with elderly patients
Non Clinical Volunteering:
  • 15 hours at Food bank
  • ~150 hours disability note taker
  • Just started volunteering at a Crisis Text Line
  • College EMT worked to train other EMTs and students (50 hours)
Other:
  • Varsity Athlete (DIII)
  • Student government (2 years)
  • Tutor (about 100-150 hours)
  • Manager of fast food place in high school and over winter breaks (I don't know if I should include this)
Summer Plan: I plan to continue research, but with COVID I don't know. My backup plan is a nurse/dietary aid at an assisted living home to boost my clinical exposure.

I'm struggling to come up with a school list, mostly because I'm not confident in my ECs. Any help would be appreciated (even if its that I should take a gap year)

School List:

Michigan
Wayne State
Western MI
Oakland
Central MI
Duke
Dartmouth
Mayo
U Pitt
Boston U
Case Western
Albert Einstein
Emory
Rochester
Drexel
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Toledo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several interviews from your list. Add Michigan State and Carle Illinois.
Thank you! I didn't list Michigan State because they need an upper level biology course, which I don't think I'll be able to fit into my schedule given my major. Any specific reason behind Carle Illinois?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll agree that your shadowing hours (20, don't count pre-college hours) might on face value be a concern. You have a lot of EMT experience, and I'm not sure how that would be considered, but the depth of your experience there is remarkable and can help. Everything else though looks fine, so make sure you have your references read your PS and you do some networking with schools near the top of your list, reaching out to current students and admissions recruiters before applying.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll agree that your shadowing hours (20, don't count pre-college hours) might on face value be a concern. You have a lot of EMT experience, and I'm not sure how that would be considered, but the depth of your experience there is remarkable and can help. Everything else though looks fine, so make sure you have your references read your PS and you do some networking with schools near the top of your list, reaching out to current students and admissions recruiters before applying.
Thank you very much. I had about 15 more hours of shadowing lined up, but it fell through due to COVID. I doubt I'll be able to get any hours before I apply. I hope to get clinical experience in a nursing home at least.

Basic Stats:
  • 4.0 GPA, 517 MCAT (130, 130, 128, 129)
  • White female
  • Biomedical Engineering Major, Chemistry Minor
  • Undergraduate school around top 40, but higher for my degree
  • Home state: MI
Research:
  • 120 Hours in biomedical engineering lab, mostly data analysis and debugging code
  • 1000-1200 Hours in Immunology lab, possible first author paper out soon (seems unlikely but I can hope)
Clinical:
  • 150-200 hours volunteer EMT
  • 20 hours shadowing (around 27 if I include senior in HS shadowing)
  • 25 hours Hospital Volunteer - met with and interacted with elderly patients
Non Clinical Volunteering:
  • 15 hours at Food bank
  • ~150 hours disability note taker
  • Just started volunteering at a Crisis Text Line
  • College EMT worked to train other EMTs and students (50 hours)
Other:
  • Varsity Athlete (DIII)
  • Student government (2 years)
  • Tutor (about 100-150 hours)
  • Manager of fast food place in high school and over winter breaks (I don't know if I should include this)
Summer Plan: I plan to continue research, but with COVID I don't know. My backup plan is a nurse/dietary aid at an assisted living home to boost my clinical exposure.

I'm struggling to come up with a school list, mostly because I'm not confident in my ECs. Any help would be appreciated (even if its that I should take a gap year)

School List:

Michigan
Wayne State
Western MI
Oakland
Central MI
Duke
Dartmouth
Mayo
U Pitt
Boston U
Case Western
Albert Einstein
Emory
Rochester
Drexel
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
Toledo
Bulk up on the service ECs. And work on the self esteem and aim higher.

I suggest:

NYU + NYU-LI
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Case
UCSF
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Baylor
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
ALL MI schools

Bulk up on the service ECs. And work on the self esteem and aim higher.

I suggest:

NYU + NYU-LI
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
Mayo
Cornell
Sinai
BU
U VA
Duke
Case
UCSF
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Ohio State
Pitt
U Cincy
USF Morsani
Baylor
Dartmouth
Rochester
USC/Keck
Emory
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
Tufts
U IA
U VM
ALL MI schools

Thank you very much. I know on paper I'm a competitive applicant but sometimes it's hard to believe it.
Do you think volunteering for the crisis textline is good enough for service ECs or should I look for more? So far I've been able to commit around 15 hours and plan to commit 5-8 a week.

Thank you very much. I know on paper I'm a competitive applicant but sometimes it's hard to believe it.
Do you think volunteering for the crisis textline is good enough for service ECs or should I look for more? So far I've been able to commit around 15 hours and plan to commit 5-8 a week.
Do whatever you can. I don't know if 15 hours is enough to impress me.

Carle Illinois ? Go to their website and you will see why you are a desirable candidate.
How accurate your prediction was, OP also accepted now that college.