MD WAMC? 4.0 w/ 520

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted970988

Hello, all. I just wanted to get opinions on my school lists and am open to suggestions about adding/dropping the schools.
- 4.0 GPA (both sGPA and cGPA)
- 520 MCAT (130,129,130,131)
- From Texas and am Asian
- Go to school in a top 20 undergrad
- Clinical Experience: ~350 hours as EMS, 30 hours during a medical mission abroad.
- Worked in a research lab for 4 semesters (~600 Hours). No publications or posters for various reasons but understand my research well and really contributed in lab.
- In a design class, created a modification for a syringe pump so that it could be used in third world countries (underwent the whole design process and presented our findings in poster presentation. Also had to create a user manual)
- 95 hours of shadowing (ENT, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology, Nephrology, Pathology, Hematology)
- 50 hours shadowing in a homeless shelter.
- Studied abroad in a pre-health program in a Spanish Speaking country learning about public health and related topics. Will have to complete an internship with an NGO so this falls under non-clinical volunteering probably.

- Applying to all Texas MD schools and also Mayo, Pritzker, Duke, Vanderbilt, Albert Einstein, Perelman, NYU, Case Western, Northwestern, Tufts, and WUSTL.
Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not seeing any service to others, other than you pump design. Is this actually being used somewhere? What will the NGO internship entail?

The medical mission will be considered medial tourism.

Chances will be best at all TX schools, but you might have luck with the following as well:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI

@Goro: if he worked on that pump full-time for a couple years, would that count as "service to others"? How about any successful work developing devices meant to be used in third-world countries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought my volunteering at the homeless shelter would count as service to others? The pump is currently in the trial phase in Malawi because the technologies have to go through the normal testing process. I'm not yet sure what the internship entails because I have to decide that later on, but it has to do something related with health. Some example internships include either deal with promoting public health awareness, working with organizations to tackle HIV related stigma, etc...

You'll easily get in anywhere. Get a couple safety schools though just in case or even to use as a practice interview.