WAMC 4.0cGPA and 523 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NS887

Reaction score
What are my chances?

Hometown (and currently living): Miami, FL

Demographics: Caribbean/West Indian Male

Graduated from University of Miami in May 2020

-Major: Neuroscience

-Minors: Chemistry, Math, and Computer Science

-Completed PRISM program (advanced science premed/research program)

cGPA: 4.0

sGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 523 (129/131/132/131)

LizzyM: 81

Research: Neuroscience lab (~400 hours) and biochemical breast cancer lab (~600 hours). Breast cancer research was clinically relevant in that it focused on developing new treatment options for aggressive triple-negative breast cancer.

Other ECs:

- Helped to start and host a regional division of Science Olympiad (science/engineering competition for ~300 local middle/high school students) at UMiami

-Coordinator of Volunteers in first year and Regional Director in second year (approximately 500 total hours)

I had a career change of heart late in my undergraduate years, which is why I decided to take a gap year to build up clinical experience. However, given COVID, it has been difficult to acquire in-person positions. I will continue trying to get employment and volunteering over the next few months.

I have strong letters of rec from professors and mentors that I have built meaningful relationships with.

Is it worth applying this cycle, mostly to in-state schools, without significant clinical experience, or should I take a second gap year to ensure I have more experience?

@Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
You would be better off to apply next June. If you can accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing and 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact you would receive many interviews with your stats.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha @Goro Realistically, if he was able to do some shadowing and/or clinical volunteering in the form of scribing right now, and applied this cycle, would he receive any IIs? From what I can tell, @NS887 is mainly shooting for IS options due to financial reasons (so schools like UMMSM, UFCOM, USF Morsani, etc.)
I can't recommend applying without clinical experience.

Here's a harsh truth: your safety, as well as that of your family and society, is more important than your med school plans.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll agree. You'd be ruled out because of a lack of any significant interaction with patients. I'm also not sure of the community service hours since Sci Oly may not impress many of my faculty about your inclination towards serving those who are in serious need.

And I cannot stress enough the importance of networking with current students through SNMA or AMSA chapters and student affairs staff at the schools you really have high on your wish list. Take the time now before you apply to get their advice, especially when it comes to your letters that you will need as a non-trad career changer (science professor letters, specifically).

Reactions: 1 users
NSS is not a non-trad, he was a "Pre-Med" in undergrad, in the sense that he took all the same courses as a "Pre-Med" student would and aced them. Would he have any chances of getting IIs to any IS med schools atm? @Goro @Faha
We've already answered your question. No clinical experience means no acceptances

we need to know that people who want to go to med school are willing to spend the next 30 to 40 years taking care of sick people, and they know what they're getting into.

We don't want Medical students to bail on us because they discover the patients are icky or ar not nice people.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I'm a current student at a T5 medical school. The reality is that a lot of the in-state schools will want to see a lot of clinical experiences since the majority of their stated missions are to develop physicians that will serve in their local communities. I would recommend against applying to these schools with your current application and lack of clinical involvement. However, I will say from personal experience that a lot of my friends have found success for admission to T20 schools without significant clinical activities if they have other parts of their application that are stellar (high stats, athletics, major publications ie), although that leeway may vary between schools and the type of class that the committee is trying to build. I think it's possible that you may fall into this category, but the optimal and safest thing to do is to take a gap year to scribe or spend time in the hospital. This will also benefit you as well because I cannot imagine someone dedicating the rest of their life to a profession without spending at least 100 hours observing the daily proceedings. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree with the other posters here. I'm currently an applicant, and I have a trad friend who has a 4.0 / 524 with 0 clinical hours in college but volunteered at a hospital in high school. He is also torn about medicine and decided to apply to med school later than most. However, he is doing fantastic with 5 T10 II's because schools like NYU, Yale, WashU, Harvard are stat ****** and will take a 4.0 / 523 to boost their rankings, which are partially based on admissions stats. Not to mention that you are Caribbean (I assume URM), which is a huge boost. Your application will go into their "important" pile. Apply to T10s

I disagree with the other posters here. I'm currently an applicant, and I have a trad friend who has a 4.0 / 524 with 0 clinical hours in college but volunteered at a hospital in high school.

Is your friend URM or ORM?

I agree that you need clinical experience for your own good. You also probably will get a lot of attention. Have you networked with students at the schools to see how you may fit in with the students and faculty at the schools on your list? AMSA and SNMA chapters will help. You want the schools to want you and the more informed you are about what really goes on at the school for student success, the better.

Don’t apply this cycle. If they ask you why medicine, how exactly are you supposed to respond without any clinical, volunteering, or even shadowing experience. All your app says right now is that you’re a smart guy but that’s literally about it. Nothing in the app says anything about your values, whether you’re remotely decent at connecting with people, or if you even know what the field looks like. Im no adcom, but I think med schools aren’t looking for the next Sheldon. Also if they ask why medicine vs PhD, do you really think you can answer this in a remotely compelling answer? I’d bet good money that you can’t