WAMC? 41 MCAT, lots of research, but low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PianoManHG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted a similar thread in the pre-MD forums but am wondering if I have any chance of getting into an MD/PhD program - I have my heart set on an MD/PhD program but I know that they are very competitive.

Current job: Working full-time in a clinical research lab at the Mayo clinic. Involves patient interaction, clinical research skills, data analysis, and hopefully poster/manuscript composition.
School: Michigan State University (still a MI resident)
Degrees: BS Physiology, BS Neuroscience
MCAT: 41
cGPA/sGPA: 3.6/3.5 - performed poorly while studying abroad, without those classes my GPAs would be much better: 3.86/3.8
-Has this ruined my chances? I scored 3.5/4.0s on my classes at MSU, but bombed a few study abroad classes. Hopefully the ADCOMs will see that those classes were an exception and that my stateside performance was much better?
ECs:
-4+ years research experience. Est 2000 hours. I'm very passionate about research.
-Gave poster presentations at several national and local conferences
-Second author on one publication (experimental contribution), first author on another (ran experiments, composed manuscript and figures, reviewed manuscript, etc)
-Five research awards, including an APS Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship and both David S. Bruce Award
-120 hours clinical volunteering at nearby hospital; three different volunteer positions over various summers/semesters
-270 hours volunteering at a nearby crisis center, developed empathy, compassion, and crisis intervention skills
-40 hours completed shadowing experience (a podiatrist and a clinical psychologist - do they count? The clinical psychologist worked with chronic pain patients, was very worthwhile because I got to see the process of medical treatment from their perspective),
-150 hours (expected) shadowing of a practicing MD/PhD while I'm at Mayo
-Intercollegiate athletics - rowed competitively for 3 years, started while studying abroad. We practiced 6 days a week, 2 to 2.5 hours a day - very good for discipline, time management, etc
-Other significant experience - Freshman year I was in an auto accident and spent a lot of time in hospital/rehab. Losing friends and almost dying changed my perspective of life, made me realize how awesome and fascinating human medicine is, and has motivated me to improve others' lives by going into medical practice - obviously this doesn't qualify me for anything but it is a part of my story that is unique and at the very least will get the ADCOM's attention.

Given my poor GPA and lack of shadowing/clinical experience, any suggestions of where I can reasonably apply? Especially this late in the summer? Do I have a shot at any top schools? My plan right now is to apply to ~20 of the top 25. Do you think I'd be more competitive if I wait a year and continue to get experience at Mayo?

Sorry for the wall of text, thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. According to your post my MCAT is good, research experience is good, but GPA is sub-par, correct?
I apologize, should I not have started a WAMC thread? I only did so because I'm interested in the opinions of MD/PhD students and faculty, posters in the pre-MD forum weren't able to comment on MD/PhD competitiveness so I thought I ask around over here.

Members don't see this ad :)
4) So what about my MDApplicants profile?

What are the general guidelines for success that we moderators are thinking about?

GPA -- Excellent 3.8+, Ok 3.6+
MCAT -- Excellent 36+, Ok 34+
Research Experience -- Excellent 4+ years, Ok 2+

Can you be below the ok level in one of these and still get in? It depends on just how far off you are. It will help tremendously if you have excellents in the others.

Does that answer your question about your GPA?

Given ... lack of shadowing/clinical experience, any suggestions of where I can reasonably apply?

-120 hours clinical volunteering at nearby hospital; three different volunteer positions over various summers/semesters
-270 hours volunteering at a nearby crisis center, developed empathy, compassion, and crisis intervention skills
-40 hours completed shadowing experience (a podiatrist and a clinical psychologist - do they count? The clinical psychologist worked with chronic pain patients, was very worthwhile because I got to see the process of medical treatment from their perspective),

So confused. Looks like you have plenty of shadowing/clinical experience to me. Yes, that counts.

Especially this late in the summer?

It's not late. Apply ASAP. October is late. September is kinda late. July isn't late at all.

Do I have a shot at any top schools? My plan right now is to apply to ~20 of the top 25. Do you think I'd be more competitive if I wait a year and continue to get experience at Mayo?

Maybe. 25 schools is reasonable. I doubt you'll become much more competitive. What's another year of research going to do when you have 4 already?

Working full-time in a clinical research lab at the Mayo clinic. Involves patient interaction, clinical research skills, data analysis, and hopefully poster/manuscript composition.

What kind of research do you have and are you trying to do? MD/PhD programs typically want to produce basic scientists. They expect you to have worked in basic science. They will expect you to continue working in basic science. This does not sound like basic science.

Yes, that does answer my question about the GPA - thank you.
I have a self-set deadline of Friday. It's good to know that I'm not too late though!
Good point about the research, most of the research I already have is basic so should be good there.
I guess I was overthinking things and worrying too much about my chances. The only thing left to do now is continue to get my essays and app in shape, submit, and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice, Neuronix :)