WAMC 4th time retake or apply with 121 CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needtoretake123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on your GPA. A lot of Med Schools look at numbers first and so the best way to measure yourself is looking up your LizzyM Score. A good number to shoot at these days is 70. Without your grades, I can say that a 505 is not stellar even without a 121 on a section. I have the same problem as you with reading on the MCAT, but I think a lot of people have issues because the sections on the MCAT are drastically different (way longer) than on practice exams. I wouldn't take it a 4th time and just apply to DO schools if you really want medicine. Expecting a 5 point increase is not worth it for the 4th time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyway to know what the cut offs are at particular schools?

Unfortunately not or we would be all set. Also, numbers are only half the battle. You can look at acceptance statistics for schools if you can find them.

What should I do?

Apply to DO schools and try the interview with the guaranteed school. If you are like anything like me, the interview might be where you shine.

1st attempt: 495: 126/121/123/125 (CP/CARS/BB/PS)

2nd attempt: 500 126/124/125/125 (CP/CARS/BB/PS)

3rd attempt: 505 127/121/129/128 (CP/CARS/BB/PS)

I am wondering if it is worth retaking it a 4th and final time to pull up my CARS score. I would like to know if the 121 is lethal for all MD schools or DO schools, if not which ones. If were to retake what score should I am for? Any advice would be much appreciated, I feel really defeated, I had not score 121 on any practice tests leading up to my 3rd attempt. I had a very rough CP section that I thought I bombed (124-125) and it killed my confidence going into CARS and I feel as if this contributed to a worse score as I am already poor at CARS.

I'm not ESL as I learned my native language and English at the same time. I primarily speak my native language when at home since my parents are first generation immigrants from Asia-India. Each test was taken roughly a year apart (2015 August, 2016 July, 2017 July). I admit I was not as especially serious during my first two takes, again which is my own fault. I have also studied the most without any distractions for the most recent exam which was roughly 2 months. I was scoring within the ranges I got for my sciences and my lowest CARS score I had ever scored in practice was a 123. Which is why I'm devastated. Is there anyway to know what the cut offs are at particular schools? I finished up a post bacc (MD) with a guaranteed interview and MCAT (3.5+ and 505+). There is no particular subscore cutoff but I feel as if I should not waste the interview and use it towards next cycle when I can have taken the MCAT again and have improved as much as I possibly can. What should I do? I am also a resident of Virginia.

For MD schools, your best chances will be with the VA schools.
I can't recommend a 4th MCAT attempt because let's get real, you're not going to boost the CARS score. You've hit your plateau. Some schools "say" they'll take the best score or superscore. If this is true you're in a better position.

You should be fine for the DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You're going to have to ask the Admissions deans if they'll screen you out. Many school will their minimums right on their website, a research often not used by applicants, even though they may have 100s, even 1000s of hours of research.

I can't recommend LUCOM nor Penn State. Do a search as to why. ADD

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Of your MD list, forget the following. These will be donations.

Meharry (application focused on rural medicine)
Marshall (application focused on rural medicine)
Howard (application focused on rural medicine)
Morehouse (application focused on rural medicine)
Central Michigan
University of South Carolina

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all the DO schools you applied to and should receive several interviews. Delete the ones Goro mentioned.

Any news updates on this? Did you get any interview invites or acceptances?