WAMC: 504 MCAT, 3.84 cGPA, 100+ Clinical, NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcougar21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It’s that time of the year again, and of course I am considering my options. I am a NJ resident, and a re-applicant. I applied last cycle (albeit late) and received an invitation for two interviews, and both now waitlisted (HP and R WL). I am re-applying this cycle in case I don’t get moved off of these lists, but I am having concerns with reapplying.

My concern is with my MCAT score. My first MCAT score was pretty low, but my psych score was a 126. It sucks my latest attempt has a lower psych score, but I did much better overall. I plan on applying to a good mix of MDs and DOs, but I was looking for opinions on how I should go about this and if I should retake my MCAT for a higher score (would be 3rd attempt). My stats are below.

MCAT: 504 (127/126/127/124) - June 2021
cGPA/sGPA: 3.84/3.80
Research: ~ 225 hours (over 2 yrs).
B.S. Cell Biology, May 2021

Shadowing & Volunteering Pediatrician ( ~ 100 hours)
Years Tutoring Biological & Chemical Sciences
Volunteer EMT for 1 year (100+ hours)
Hospital Volunteer for 9 months (~100 hours)
COVID Vaccine Scheduling: Scheduled for 150+ individuals
*Lining up 2nd shadowing opportunity with another doctor.

Letters from Med Resident, pediatrician, pre-health advisor/science professor, research supervisor, extracurricular activity.

Thank you for your time and advise. Wish you all success!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for the majority of DO schools with a MCAT of 504 and your GPAs. I suggest these schools:
RowanCOM
PCOM (all schools)
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
WCU-COM
For MD schools I suggest these:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington

Any nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved/underserved in the community.
How have you significantly improved your application over last cycle?
Some schools average MCAT score. There is no way of knowing which ones do and which ones don’t, but ALL scores are visible to reviewers.

Random person passing through. Awesome job improving your MCAT score! I'd say to find a school you really want to attend (particular one with similar stats) and build a great connection. Sometimes it's about who you know 👀

Reactions: 1 user