WAMC: 505, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, unique-ish applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookatthis1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

Just wanted to get some advice here--took the MCAT kind of late, got a 505 (126/124/127/128) and I'm being pretty realistic about my options. Submitting secondaries to about half of the schools I originally applied to and I'm definitely applying to DOs. I wanted to know if I still have a decent shot at some MDs!

Background:
Traditional applicant but I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer and completed over 1000 clinical hours with athletes and had huge amounts of autonomy in undergrad. Also volunteered at a health clinic throughout high school and college (~200 hours). Non-clinical work amounts to about 150 hours with a lot of it spent with refugee populations. cGPA is 3.7, sGPA is 3.5, feel pretty solid about my LORs (from professors, clinical instructors, and my current employer), had some leadership positions in college. I'm a South Asian female, NC resident, really hoping for interviews at UNC and ECU, potentially Wake Forest!!

Basically, I feel like I was riding really hard on my MCAT to be 510+ and was pretty crushed getting a 505 considering I was scoring above 128s in each section on my last few practice exams. I'm hoping my background in athletic training and sports medicine gives ADCOMS enough curiosity to invite me to an interview. Would love any and all feedback, personal stories, etc.!!

Members don't see this ad.

In addition to your NC schools you could try these MD schools:
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin