MD & DO WAMC (507, 3.7)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evergreenblackbird

Reaction score
Hello! First time applicant here trying to make the most of this cycle. I am excited about both MD and DO, and a major concern is location because my family is older and I am hoping to be near them.

27 y/o female, Massachusetts

MCAT: 507 (125/128/127/127)
cGPA: 3.71
sGPA: 3.66

Research: 12,580
Includes a full time job in clinical research at a major research hospital, internship at a similar research hospital for 2 summers, and independent study at undergrad. In my current job I ran a study that supported the FDA approval of a drug and my lab has generated numerous publications, but I don't have a name in any so it probably doesn't count?

Shadowing: 22 (cut short by Covid)

Clinical hours: 288
Working as a volunteer in the ER supporting patients and staff

Community Service: 114
Supporting immigrant communities in an advocacy network and an Audubon Society volunteer for 1 summer

Leadership: I write protocol, assist in developing methods, and train new coworkers. Additionally, I was VP of my school's Biological Honors society and used it to create more outreach for Bio majors with the incoming classes and hosted tutoring sessions. Also served on my school's Hearing Board for student conduct. I was a Senior Career Advisor and Peer Advisor in undergrad but didn't include it on my apps because I ran out of space

ETC:
-
Awarded Fellowship to travel to India for 6 weeks and shadow doctors in various urban and rural clinical settings
-
Lean six sigma certification for white and yellow belt levels; helped me improve error-reduction in my lab and design more efficient protocol for techniques

Letters of rec: Using my school's Committee Letter, which also includes:
1 PI
1 Boss
2 Science
1 Humanities

Current school list:

UNECOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
LECOM
Campbell

UVM
Rush
Tufts
Cooper at Rowan
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
NYMC
Jacobs at Buffalo
Georgetown
Geisinger
George Washington
Temple
Drexel
Seton Hall
Rutgers Robert Woods
Dartmouth
Brown
U Conn
U Penn
BU
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
U Illinois

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools. You have several state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with a MCAT of 507 and no connection to the state. Rush looks for applicants with many hundreds or thousands of hours of clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering. Also schools such as UPenn are far reaches. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for all DO schools. You have several state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with a MCAT of 507 and no connection to the state. Rush looks for applicants with many hundreds or thousands of hours of clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering. Also schools such as UPenn are far reaches. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:

Thank you so much for your reply! Especially appreciate the insight on the OOS & clinical hours preferences as I triage my secondaries.