WAMC 510 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyinden

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am going to apply medical school next year but need help to figure out what I need to prepare more. I have no research experience but I am willing to work in that field and currently looking for an opportunity.
  1. 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA Currently taking Post-bac to get certificate and expecting GPA to go up by 3.5 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA, also upward trend! :)
  2. 510
  3. CO & OR (heritage)
  4. Asian/English second language
  5. Working as a CNA (2000 hrs of direct patient care + at the time of application ~3000), Children's Hospital volunteer (600 hrs, also direct patient care), volunteer as a CC at the free clinic (300 hrs)
  6. None But looking for an opportunity (is it critical to have a research experience?)
  7. 36 hrs of pediatric surgery (Also got to observe surgeon), 60 hrs PA at family medicine
  8. 1500 hrs (volunteering rural community, taught my native language to second generation, community service)
  9. I want to get an advice about how to become a competitive applicant. If I need more years to be prepared, I am willing to take a gap year. Please provide your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What does your 1500 hours of nonclinical volunteering involve ?
Thank you so much for your reply!

I volunteered at Indian Tribe as a day care teacher for kids, church (piano player, kid’s teacher, vacation bible school), taught Korean to kids at Korean school and student reporter at Korean news paper company. I taught I had many but as I write I feel like below the average 🥺 Thank you again for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
It would help your chances if you could accumulate 200+ hours of non clinical volunteering in an activity such as homeless shelter, nursing home, etc. . You will also need to apply to DO schools since your chances for a MD acceptance are only in the 50% range.

It would help your chances if you could accumulate 200+ hours of non clinical volunteering in an activity such as homeless shelter, nursing home, etc. . You will also need to apply to DO schools since your chances for a MD acceptance are only in the 50% range.
Okay! Got it. Thank you so much for the information! I will try my best to accumulate hours from different experiences as well as research during next two years!

Don’t worry about research. If you have to choose between research and nonclinical volunteering pick the nonclinical volunteering. While research is nice to have you won’t be applying to research heavy schools.