MD WAMC? : 510 MCAT, 3.7 cGPA with some setbacks...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdeltaforce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
So for the stats:
510 MCAT, 125 C/P, 129 CARS, 128 B/B, 128 P/S
3.7 cGPA but not sure what my science GPA is. Probably 3.55-ish
  • I'm white, female and grew up in both rural and semi-rural communities in Wyoming.
  • By the time I graduate I'll have over 1600 hours of research, 70 hours of shadowing, 1000 hours of general community service (Big Brothers Big Sisters, and my singing group), and 100+ hours of clinical community service at our local health clinic.
  • I have also consistently worked 2 or more different jobs at once (waitressing, research assistant, tutoring for the athletic department, and now also a Beauty Advisor at Ulta).
  • I think my LOR's are very strong (since I haven't seen them) and came from people who know me well.
  • My mother is widowed and raising my younger sister alone.
This is all stuff that could help me get in. Now for the bad parts:
  • I was arrested March 30th for DUI, but received First Offender Status and it won't go on my record. I still responded "yes" to any questions about arrests and am providing full disclosure to the schools I apply to.
  • Two weeks before my sophomore year my father died so my grades are not great. I was also taking organic/physics so my MCAT reflects how poorly I studied these areas.
I am pretty concerned about these setbacks, as my MCAT isn't very good and I don't have a ton of other "stand out" points.
Right now I've applied and submitted secondaries to (in order of preference):
  1. University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill (#1 Choice)
  2. MCG at Augusta University
  3. Wake Forest
  4. Florida International U.
  5. U. Arizona - Tucson
  6. U. Arizona - Phoenix
  7. University of South Carolina - Greenville
  8. Mayo Clinic (just for kicks and giggles on the off chance I get an interview)
I've submitted primaries to these but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on secondaries:
  • OHSU
  • University of Washington (WWAMI program for those of you who know what that is)
  • University of Colorado
  • Louisiana State University
  • Florida State University
And then I'm also in panic mode waiting for interview invites (which I understand may be a while) so I was also thinking of applying to (in no particular order):
  • Albany Medical College
  • Florida Atlantic University
  • Drexel
  • Geisinger
  • George Washington
  • Loma Linda
  • New York Medical College
  • U. of Central Florida
Out of these, what are my chances? I know I've got some bad mess ups so I just want to get into medical school...should I apply more places? Anything else about the schools I should consider? Should I give up on certain schools? I'm just pretty down right now and want to know what chances I have if any...
thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting story. I am sorry about your father. You've definitely had a rockier road than most.

Others on here are going to give you more targeted advice, but I'm sure everyone else will say - you need to add many more schools for a realistic shot at MD if you don't want to reapply. If you really, really don't want to reapply, I would add all the DO schools of your choosing.

As for your schools, what is the rhyme and reason for you selections? Your #1 choice UNC has an in-state bias, #2 has a strong in-state bias, #4 has an in-state bias, #5 and #6 have an in-state bias, and #7 has a strong in-state/region bias. I see that you grew up in Wyoming. You should definitely have UW on there! That's your number one shot imo!

Have you claimed residency elsewhere for college?

Don't spend the money on the secondary for LSU and FSU.

Add all the schools on your "panic" list except FAU and UCF.

Off the top of my head, add Vermont, Thomas Jefferson, Quinnipiac, Creighton, Loyola, and Rosalind Franklin.

You have an interesting story for sure with your hardships. Your employment and volunteering is impeccable. But with the mediocre stats you can never be too sure! Add those schools to make sure. Good luck!

You have many state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. For example, Medical College Georgia matriculated only 11 non residents last year and most of those would be former residents, legacies or attended undergraduate school in Georgia. Florida State matriculated only 2 non residents last year (you will not be one of those 2). So schools on your list such as UNC, Medical College Georgia, Florida State, Florida International, Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, South Carolina, OHSU, Geisinger, Louisiana State are completely unrealistic. These are schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
University of Washington(your best chance is here)
Creighton
California University (new school)
Loma Linda
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Wake Forest
Mayo (Arizona)
University Colorado

Members don't see this ad :)
My goal is to leave Wyoming, so UW (WWAMI) is my very last option. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

You have many state public schools on your list that accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. For example, Medical College Georgia matriculated only 11 non residents last year and most of those would be former residents, legacies or attended undergraduate school in Georgia. Florida State matriculated only 2 non residents last year (you will not be one of those 2). So schools on your list such as UNC, Medical College Georgia, Florida State, Florida International, Central Florida, Florida Atlantic, South Carolina, OHSU, Geisinger, Louisiana State are completely unrealistic. These are schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
University of Washington(your best chance is here)
Creighton
California University (new school)
Loma Linda
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth