• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC: 513/3.5x/3.5x. Clinical background.

MisterMukwa

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

Thank you for taking time to read this! Very rural/underserved upbringing, I wrote about lack of educational resources growing up one of my essays. Somewhat non-trad, I was premed during undergrad but decided to take a job in medical sales upon graduation. Will be mid/late 20s when I apply. Lots of OR/clinic exposure in my job and I wrote a strong narrative in my PS about why I want to enter medicine and what I learned. Interested in surgical sub after med school. Also looking to limit my list to places where my fiancée can find a job in her field as well, which unfortunately eliminates some rural places (Virginia Tech for example). Trying to keep costs down so don't want to apply to too many schools.

Thanks!

cGPA and sGPA: 3.5x and 3.5x
MCAT: 513
State of residence: NC
Ethnicity: White
Undergraduate: Top Non-Ivy, graduated 2017
Rural/underserved: Yes
Clinical experience: 5000+ hrs
Several years working at a major medical device company in a hospital-based role. In the OR/clinic every day.
Research experience: 700 hrs
Several years in a basic science lab in UG. I'm on 6 pubs, but pretty far down the list of authors (2nd/3rd author on a couple)
Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
16 hrs PMR
8 hrs FM
? hrs ortho (seen hundreds of surgeries and interacted with patients in clinic)
Clinical volunteering: 80 hrs total
40 hrs hospice/respite volunteer
40 hrs hospital volunteer
Non-clinical volunteering: 160 hrs total
30 hrs big brothers big sisters “big”
80 hrs as a tutor/curriculum director for underserved youth (was in a leadership position for this)
50 hrs food bank
Other extracurricular activities/employment:
private (paid) tutor in college for special needs children (300 hrs)
TA(150 hrs)
Factory work (400 hrs)
Funeral assistant (100 hrs)

School list: My stats are closer to the service based schools but I have more research experience than volunteering experience. Trying to keep my list broad as a result.
Colorado
Drexel
East Carolina
EVMS
Emory
GT
MCW
Miami
NYMC
Nova
Penn State
Netter
Seton Hall
TCU
Temple
Thom Jeff
Tufts
Tulane
UNC
USC - Greenville (close ties in Greenville area)
VCU
Wake

PCOM
KCU
DMU

Other schools I was on the fence about are...
Brown (heard they like nontrads/students from good UG schools but stats are kinda high)
Central Florida (no connection)
Cincy (stats prob too high)
Creighton (don't have prereq classes)
Einstein (stats too high?)
GWU (not sure their mission?)
Hofstra (stats prob too high)
Loyola (too much volunteering?
RFU (crazy low yield)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2011
  1. Academic Administration
You should take a hard look at the National Health Service Corps scholarship. If you wind up qualifying for that scholarship, you can refine your selection criteria including potential geographic considerations with respect to your significant one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads

MisterMukwa

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
@Faha Thx for the feedback!

@Mr.Smile12 I have looked into NHSC and unfortunately it would not work for my situation due to only funding for primary care (I'm thinking surgical sub). Also, my S/O is interested in pursuing her career as well so it isn't all about $ in that respect. I do appreciate the tip, however, and it's a great program for anyone interested! There are a number of advantages for future physicians working in a HPSA.

@Goro I've heard you mention before that Brown is friendly to non-trads to offset their BS/MD students. Do you think my stats preclude a chance there? I'm a little above 10th %ile on GPA and above 25th% on MCAT. I know I'm not a stat powerhouse but with my research background and alternative route to med school I thought it may be worth a shot. Curious to get your feedback!

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
@Faha Thx for the feedback!

@Mr.Smile12 I have looked into NHSC and unfortunately it would not work for my situation due to only funding for primary care (I'm thinking surgical sub). Also, my S/O is interested in pursuing her career as well so it isn't all about $ in that respect. I do appreciate the tip, however, and it's a great program for anyone interested! There are a number of advantages for future physicians working in a HPSA.

@Goro I've heard you mention before that Brown is friendly to non-trads to offset their BS/MD students. Do you think my stats preclude a chance there? I'm a little above 10th %ile on GPA and above 25th% on MCAT. I know I'm not a stat powerhouse but with my research background and alternative route to med school I thought it may be worth a shot. Curious to get your feedback!
Brown is too quirky to comment on

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2010
  1. Non-Student
Do you mind commenting further? I assume by quirky you mean their admissions criteria but was not entirely sure.
At least 40 % of their class comes from Brown's own BS/MD and early assurance programs. Class size is 144, so that only leaves some 90 seats to try to figure out what they want. That's too low of an N for me to even think about. And that doesn't even account for regular Brown graduates!

Their median GPA for acceptees is 3.8. You're barely at the 10th %ile. Further, they get > 7000 apps and only interview 5% of these total. Of those, figure only some 40% get an accept offer.

Hence, not worth applying to.

Upvote 0

MisterMukwa

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
At least 40 % of their class comes from Brown's own BS/MD and early assurance programs. Class size is 144, so that only leaves some 90 seats to try to figure out what they want. That's too low of an N for me to even think about. And that doesn't even account for regular Brown graduates!

Their median GPA for acceptees is 3.8. You're barely at the 10th %ile. Further, they get > 7000 apps and only interview 5% of these total. Of those, figure only some 40% get an accept offer.

makes sense. Thanks!

Upvote 0

MisterMukwa

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical

That being said - do you think Pitt, Einstein, or Pitt would be worth applying to? I have heard Pitt especially values having students with different backgrounds.

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2010
  1. Non-Student
That being said - do you think Pitt, Einstein, or Pitt would be worth applying to? I have heard Pitt especially values having students with different backgrounds.
Einstein no, Pitt, maybe

you listed Pitt 2x

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.