WAMC? 514 MCAT 3.8 GPA - seeking advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comedianintraining

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm about to submit my AMCAS primary application, and I'm looking for last minute advice (on schools, what to mention/not mention in my application, or anything else that might be helpful)! If you have any sort of idea about my chances of getting into medical school and anything I can improve before submitting, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide! :)
  • School:
    • Rising senior
    • University of Southern California
    • Neuroscience major, comedy performance minor
  • State of residence: OK
    • Related - I'm a documented member of the Cherokee Nation (Native American- URM)
  • Schools to which you are applying:
    • I know I'm applying to a lot of SUPER reach schools, but my parents don't really understand the process and have encouraged me (by saying they could help me pay for it, haha) to apply to these schools despite my stats.
    • Kaiser (top choice), Stanford, Harvard, Northwestern, UCLA, USC, UCI, UCSD, CalMed, University of Oklahoma
    • I can't afford to apply to a ton of schools, but could probably handle a few more. If you have any suggestions of additional places (whether it's one place or a whole list!) I should consider, please let me know!
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.8
  • Science GPA: 3.62
  • MCAT Scores: 514: 128/128/128/130
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):
    • ~600 hours as a brain imaging research assistant (on studies regarding how music training affect brain development in kids) by the time I graduate
    • ~320 hours next summer (in-person program delayed by COVID-19, online program offered this summer and throughout the school year) at Harvard Medical School's Four Directions Summer Research Program
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
    • ~140 hours as a caretaker for elderly patients
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
    • ~100 hours at a rural hospital in my hometown, both an anesthesiologist (and the surgeons working with him) and a primary care physician
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • ~30 hours at a domestic violence shelter
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • Leadership positions in Alpha Chi Omega sorority
    • Member of Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-health honor society
    • Member of university's Native American Student Assembly
    • Certified Phlebotomist in the state of Oklahoma
    • I also do stand-up comedy in my free time :)
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): no
  • Specialty of interest: Neurology, Psychiatry, OB/GYN
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): specifically interested in Native healthcare, not necessarily rural

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As an NA applicant, any school is yours.
I suggest
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Keck
Kaiser
U OK
SLU
WashU
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vandy
Baylor
UTxSW
Stanford
the Manhattan Titans
Case
Emory
Harvard
Yale
U MI
U VA
U CO
Einstein

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
As an NA applicant, any school is yours.
I suggest
UCSF
UCSD
UCLA
Keck
Kaiser
U OK
SLU
WashU
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vandy
Baylor
UTxSW
Stanford
the Manhattan Titans
Case
Emory
Harvard
Yale
U MI
U VA
U CO
Einstein
Okay, thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)