WAMC: 515 / 3.91 cGPA/ 3.85 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kageyam

Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

I am currently building a school list and plan to apply this cycle. I will graduate this semester and will continue many of these activities throughout the application cycle. I would greatly appreciate any advice you have. I am also happy to answer any clarifying questions!

1. cGPA: 3.91, sGPA: 3.85
  2. MCAT score: 515(129/125/130/131) - Summer 2022
  3. State of residence: Idaho
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM - White male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Private university in Utah
  6. Clinical experience:
    1. Ophthalmic Technician: 800 hours - will transition to full-time after graduation.
    2. Medical Trip as Ophthalmic Technician: 50 hours.
      1. 1-week, paid experience with the doctors I work with, performing only things that I have been trained to do. Voluntourism?
    3. Volunteer - Home Hospice Aide: 100 hours - ongoing
    4. Volunteer - Spanish interpreter: 79 hours
      1. Helped underserved populations in various specialties. These hours also include some in-office work where I helped patients sign up for the program and get on the waitlist for donated visits.
  7. Research experience and productivity:
    1. Research: 200 hours
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. 68 hours
      1. FM: 33 hours
      2. IR: 30 hours
      3. ENT: 5 hours
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. BBBS: 170 hours - ongoing
    2. Local LGBTQ+ community home for youth: 100 hours
      1. Spent time with the youth in various activities - helping with homework, teaching piano/guitar, playing games, fostering safe space, and maintaining a clean home.
    3. Presented health lessons to large groups of middle schoolers as part of rural health program: 60 hours.
      1. I've debated where to place this. I presented to multiple medium-sized classrooms (total students ~500). Could be classified as teaching?
    4. Generalized service as part of 2-year religious mission in a Central American country: ~200 hours.
      1. Taught Spanish and general life skills classes, organized food/water, and supported patients after a major natural disaster
  10. Other extracurricular activities:
    1. "Coach" at local residential treatment center: 410 hours
      1. I posted a question recently about this and most seem to think this job leans more toward non-clinical employment. I spent time mentoring troubled teenagers, guiding them in personal/group goals, and maintaining a safe space - conflict resolution in a home of young teenage boys.
    2. Leadership position in university Premed Club: 70 hours
    3. Research lab manager: 50 hours
    4. Door-to-door sales/sales manager in Washington over one summer: 1100 hours
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
    1. None
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
    1. Spanish Proficiency: Advanced - plan to pick up a volunteer interpreter position at a free clinic after graduation
    2. Will include some hobbies - nothing too crazy.
My wife is also currently a law student at a school here in Utah, which means I will matriculate at the beginning of her final year. Part of the difficulty of creating a school list is finding a place where she can build experience/finish her last year of school. Fortunately, the final year of law school is fairly flexible - she has options of either finishing classes online or finishing as a visiting student at a law school near the medical school I will attend. UUSOM is an obvious solution to this issue, but we would like to explore our options. Any chance for Texas schools? Thanks in advance!

MD:
Utah
UW
Ohio State
Creighton
Iowa
Rosalind Franklin
University of Colorado
Loma Linda
U of A - Tucson/Phoenix
UMich
Texas schools – McGovern, UTMB specifically?
UNC

DO:
ATSU-KCOM
VCOM
PCOM
KCU

Members don't see this ad.

Leave off the medical trip, it is unnecessary. TMDAS is a separate application and the activities section has a much shorter character limit, so that is something to consider. UNC takes almost no OOS students. Put the rural health lessons as teaching.

I suggest:

Utah
UW
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Creighton
Iowa
University of Colorado
Loma Linda (I assume you have similar religious beliefs)
U of A Phoenix (check pre-reqs as they are specific)
UMich
TCU
Wake
Duke
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Tulane
Keck
USF
Miami
Dartmouth
Saint Louis
Vermont
VCU
Jefferson
Georgetown
Tufts
Emory

You should not need to apply to DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU has taken very few WICHE applicants in past years. UW and Utah are typically the main schools that Idaho residents go to due to the formal WWAMI and state-partnership programs. North Dakota has only taken students from Minnesota, Montana and Wyoming I believe.

OHSU has taken very few WICHE applicants in past years. UW and Utah are typically the main schools that Idaho residents go to due to the formal WWAMI and state-partnership programs. North Dakota has only taken students from Minnesota, Montana and Wyoming I believe.
Per MSAR, North Dakota took OOS students from WA, OR, ID, MT, MN, NE, KS, MO, and TX last cycle.

Per MSAR, North Dakota took OOS students from WA, OR, ID, MT, MN, NE, KS, MO, and TX last cycle.
They were likely former residents of ND or still had ties to the state if they were not from the immediately surrounding states:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.