wamc- 515 mcat- 3.77 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eehgeehmd

Reaction score
  1. cGPA 3.77
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown 515 - cars 132/ bio- 127/chem-127/ psych- 129
  3. State of residence- ny
  4. Ethnicity and/or race-white
  5. Undergraduate institution or category- Touro College
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)- 800 hrs group home for adults living with psychiatric illnesses
  7. Research experience and productivity- 300 hours basic science - cell culturing/ rtpcr/flow cytometry/ western blot
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented - orthopedic clinic 50 hrs
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- food pantry 50 hrs - mentoring 10 hrs
any chance at stonybrook hofstra nyu columbia sinai cornell einstein

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Al 4 SUNYs
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU-UNT
USF Morsani
Miami
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
What was the nature of your clinical experience at the group home for psychiatric patients ?

weekend counsler, provided meals, medication distribution, socialize with residents etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
The psych group-home work could be considered non-clinical volunteering since you aren't really doing things that require physician supervision, nor do you necessarily observe physicians in action. That means: what work have you actually done in a clinical setting where you see what doctors do?

Reactions: 1 user
psych group-home- distributed meds. idk what that can count for
otherwise only shadowed a doctor. hospitals have been hard to be able to volunteer for ...

The psych group-home work could be considered non-clinical volunteering since you aren't really doing things that require physician supervision, nor do you necessarily observe physicians in action. That means: what work have you actually done in a clinical setting where you see what doctors do?
Does that mean hospice volunteering isn't considered clinical experience? I don't see physicians in action (I sometimes see nurses), but still provide comfort and support to terminally ill patients at their home or at a hospice facility.

Does that mean hospice volunteering isn't considered clinical experience? I don't see physicians in action (I sometimes see nurses), but still provide comfort and support to terminally ill patients at their home or at a hospice facility.
I did say "could be". Some of your described activities do not sound clinical. I think your experience is valuable but "clinical" is not just about the location where you were.