WAMC 516 MCAT 3.91 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enigmaticepi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am wondering if I applied next cycle with these statistics and this school list if interviews/acceptances are realistic and what else I could do to have a better app while I still have a little bit of time or other schools to add. Thanks!

Undergrad GPA: cGPA 3.91 sGPA 3.91
MPH grad GPA: 4.0
MCAT 516 (127, 129, 131, 129)
Not CA or Texas
White Female
Top 40 private undergrad, a top MPH program
not CA, Texas
White female

clinical experience:
160 hours volunteering in hospice (total I will have before applying but will continue to add more afterwards)
50 hours shadowing (36 primary care, 14 nephrology)
I also have about 100 hours shadowing in dentistry and 20 in veterinary medicine, but not sure if this matters

Research experience: Total 3000+ hours:
3 years, 750 hours bench research in same undergrad lab including poster presentation at undergrad conference
575 hours bench research from working full time for a semester
1400 hours public health research assistant job at federal agency, including summer ORISE fellowship and presentation of abstract at international conference (possible paper)
200 hours volunteer research assistant in epidemiology (possible 1st author paper)
80 hours global health field research abroad (also some clinical exposure)
80 hours lab assistant in graduate school
100 hours masters thesis, (possible 1st author paper, also some clinical exposure)

Non clinical volunteering
100 hours boys and girls club across 1 year
150 hours volunteering with civic engagement program (various activities including humane society volunteer, soup kitchens, etc) across 3 years.
50 hours as volunteer driving cancer patients to treatment (*shameless plug for the ACS Road to Recovery program which is very rewarding and an easy way to help take some stress out of a patients day while learning about how lack of transportation impacts access to healthcare. They always need drivers especially in places without many uber drivers*)

Other extracurricular
80 hours as biology TA
80 hours MCAT prep instructor
40 hours notetaker for disability resource center in undergrad
3 years of leading tours/panels for 200+ biology program admitted students
Buy furniture from estate sales and flea markets and then refinish before selling. If I make profits reselling I donate to a camp for children on dialysis, but it is mostly just for fun and the challenge of learning how to use power tools :)

I also moved around a lot growing up, but would preferably like to stay around the south (Georgia or NC specifically) for family reasons or the midwest.

School List
Emory (grad school alum)
Wake Forest (strong family ties to area)
Duke (strong family ties to area)
SLU (strong ties to area, hometown is 1 hr away in fairly rural southern Illinois)
Pitt (not sure if it matters but I grew up partly in Appalachia)
Nova Southeastern MD
Iowa
U Minnesota
Jefferson
Ohio State
Rochester
Case Western
Vanderbuilt
BU
Hopkins
Yale
Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your current state of residence ?

So I thought my state of residence would be Florida or Oklahoma, but then I think by the time I apply I will have to be considered a resident of Georgia because I will be working here full time and supporting myself (my family has also moved since I was in high school)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mercer and Medical College of Georgia should be on your list. Other schools to consider include:
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Cincinnati
Tulane
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Illinois

Thank you for your input! @LizzyM @Goro do you have any other advice or concerns about my app?
I suggest the following:
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
U MI
U VA
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCSD
UCSF
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
USC/Keck
USF Morsani
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Emory
Rochester
Jefferson
Miami
U IA
U VM
Western MI
Your state schools

Thank you so much @Goro ! Do you think I have a realistic chance at these reaches? I was worried my MCAT and clinical experience was a little low.