WAMC 518, 3.4/3.37cGPA, need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gigglybear

Reaction score
Hi all - thanks in advance for your time. I had no intentions on going to medical school before I graduated college in May of 2016. I've been working for the past two years at a cardiology research lab at doing data analysis / internal tool development / project management. Working here has sparked an interest in medicine in a big way.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS:
3.39 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA, dip junior year and upswing senior year (A- and A in two classes post bacc)

MCAT score(s) and breakdown:
518 (131/128/130/129)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US):
I currently live in Minnesota, but I think I can still claim residency in VA. I still have my driver's license, voting record, and grew up/went to college there.

Ethnicity and/or race:
White/Male

Undergraduate institution or category:
According to US News I went to a top 10 liberal arts college. Double major in Computer Science and Biology.

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
~50 hours ED volunteering started in Jan 2018, ongoing 4 hours every 2 weeks. I do periodically head over to the clinic and talk to patients to enroll them in a quality of life study, however.

Research experience and productivity:

Didn't do any research in college aside from that found in labs / specialized classes - not totally sure if I can roll this in, but in one of my classes we took a trip to Yellowstone and did roughly 80 hours of field research. Another lab included quite a few hours of wet lab work. Again, not sure if its even feasible to mention this.

Been working on some bioinformatics research involving a mitochondrial DNA analysis tool that will soon be open sourced. No pubs yet, but will be submitting within the month (third author) and plan on submitting another paper at the end of the summer (second author). ~500 hours.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
~50 hours, roughly 10 in each of the following specialties - Plastic Surgery (OR), Cardiology, Radiology (both interventional and diagnostic), Nephrology,

Non-clinical volunteering:
~20 hours church volunteering
~100 hours tutoring

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
Played D3 club rugby in college - won 3 district championships and a regional championship.

Like I said earlier - ~2 years of work in a research lab.

Anything else not listed you think might be important:
I will have a fairly glowing letter of recommendation from my PI - MD, PhD.

If I had the choice I'd prefer to be back on the east coast.

School list (tentative):

Reaches:
Emory
Mayo (I work here, and did all of my shadowing/volunteering here, no brainer)
Vanderbilt (have a connection here)
Case Western
BU

Targets:
Tufts
University of Rochester
Carle (seems pretty cool, given my background in CS)
University of Maryland
Jefferson
Stony Brook
Georgetown
GW
Dartmouth
Temple

In-state/"safeties"/ties:
EVMS
VCU
UVA
UMN
Virginia Tech

Any advice or additional thoughts on targets and reaches would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland and Stony Brook accept few non residents with your GPA. The reaches (except Mayo) are unrealistic. I suggest adding these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Hofstra
Einstein
Drexel
Penn State
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont