WAMC - 520/4.0 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeerabiscuit

Reaction score
  1. GPA: 4.0
  2. MCAT: 520(130/128/131/131)
  3. TX Resident
  4. South Asian female. Age 19, 20 by time of hopeful matriculation. Did undergrad in 3 years.
  5. State school, Biomedical sciences major
  6. 300 hospital volunteering. Also worked at family-owned private practice throughout high school.
  7. 2 full years of research by matriculation. 2 posters, 1 conference, undergraduate thesis, hopefully publications pending?
  8. 68 hours shadowing altogether. ENT, cardiology, nephrology, gastroenterology
  9. 150 hrs at Alzheimer’s care facility
  10. President of human rights org, treasurer of feminist org and pp chapter, national merit scholar recruiter
  11. Full tuition scholarship
  12. Dad has Parkinson’s disease and I live with family, so I wrote about taking care of him.
I applied to
Baylor
UTSW
UTHSCSA
UTMB
UT Houston
Texas A&M
TTU Lubbock
TTU El Paso
~top 20 research schools

So far 4 IIs all in state, complete with IS end of June. Complete with some OOS mid July to some mid August. CASPer took on July 7th.
I’m really thankful for 4 IIs already, but I’m still getting pretty worried that I haven’t heard from more schools because I was expecting to, especially some in state ones with median stats quite a bit below mine. Is yield protection real? Should I expect more IIs, especially T20?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about the Texas process. But yield protection is real. And I’ve read numerous times here that often times OOS schools don’t interview Texas residents. They feel you will likely stay in Texas with the very nice tuition and why bother using an interview slot on someone who likely will stay in Texas. Totally not sure if this applies to T20 schools. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t know anything about the Texas process. But yield protection is real. And I’ve read numerous times here that often times OOS schools don’t interview Texas residents. They feel you will likely stay in Texas with the very nice tuition and why bother using an interview slot on someone who likely will stay in Texas. Totally not sure if this applies to T20 schools. Good luck.
Oh tea. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
  3. TX Resident
  4. South Asian female. Age 19, 20 by time of hopeful matriculation. Did undergrad in 3 years.
  6. 300 hospital volunteering. Also worked at family-owned private practice throughout high school.
  7. 2 full years of research by matriculation. 2 posters, 1 conference, undergraduate thesis, hopefully publications pending?
  10. President of human rights org, treasurer of feminist org and pp chapter, national merit scholar recruiter
  12. Dad has Parkinson’s disease and I live with family, so I wrote about taking care of him.
I applied to
Baylor
UTSW
UTHSCSA
UTMB
UT Houston
Texas A&M
TTU Lubbock
TTU El Paso
~top 20 research schools

So far 4 IIs all in state, complete with IS end of July. Complete with some OOS mid July to some mid August. CASPer took on July 7th.
I’m really thankful for 4 IIs already, but I’m still getting pretty worried that I haven’t heard from more schools because I was expecting to, especially some in state ones with median stats quite a bit below mine. Is yield protection real? Should I expect more IIs, especially T20?

Thanks!

Did you attend a Texas undergrad and Texas high school?

Are your interviews with the highest stat Texas schools?

Did you attend a Texas undergrad and Texas high school?

Are your interviews with the highest stat Texas schools?

Yes, and they were with the top 2, a good middle, and one of the lowest ones.
Edit: complete with IS by end of June

Last edited:
Yes, and they were with the top 2, a good middle, and one of the lowest ones.
Edit: complete with IS by end of June

Did you apply to the very top of the out of state schools - Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF, Wash U, Duke, etc.? They're the most likely ones to show an interest in a Texas resident applying who has high stats.

By reading comments on SDN, it may be the case that your relatively young age would work against you in medical school admissions and your TX residency works against you with out of state schools except for the most selective.

Did you apply to the very top of the out of state schools - Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, UCSF, Wash U, Duke, etc.? They're the most likely ones to show an interest in a Texas resident applying who has high stats.

By reading comments on SDN, it may be the case that your relatively young age would work against you in medical school admissions and your TX residency works against you with out of state schools except for the most selective.
Yes to all, literally the top 20 research schools minus Icahn plus UCSD.
Makes sense, thank you!

3. TX Resident
I applied to
Baylor
UTSW
UTHSCSA
UTMB
UT Houston
Texas A&M
TTU Lubbock
TTU El Paso
~top 20 research schools

So far 4 IIs all in state, complete with IS end of June. Complete with some OOS mid July to some mid August. CASPer took on July 7th.

Thanks!

Just going by what I have seen from other threads, your application/narrative seems compelling and with the high stats, you should definitely get interviews at some T20s.
I would think that at least by the end of Sept, you would have heard back from at least a few T20s

Reactions: 1 user
Just going by what I have seen from other threads, your application/narrative seems compelling and with the high stats, you should definitely get interviews at some T20s.
I would think that at least by the end of Sept, you would have heard back from at least a few T20s
Ahh, ok thank you!!

IDK man, you're a strong applicant, but nothing stands out as legit SAVAGE; you'll probably get in somewhere.

IDK man, you're a strong applicant, but nothing stands out as legit SAVAGE; you'll probably get in somewhere.
Haha what’s an example of something SAVAGE? A pub? Long term service like TFA? Awards like Rhodes?

Pubs are a little impressive and uncommon, but not usually SAVAGE. TFA is SAVAGE and Rhodes is definitely SAVAGE.

• Haha
I'd say a first-author pub is SAVAGE. But you definitely don't need something like a Rhodes to get into a T20. Think you have a good shot, very solid application. If you really cared about reputation, I would have said take a year off to do something like TFA, since you're still young.

TFA is a two-year commitment, as is the equally-SAVAGE Peace Corps. I'd say first author pubs are borderline SAVAGE and definitely plain ole' savage.