WAMC? 524 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, iffy ECs, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigmac82

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a 4.0 and a 524 - that leads me to think you can analyze that there is nothing iffy about your ECs. Also leads me to think that you know there is no difference between 3.9x vs. 4.0. Though I get that being pre-med is just living with stress constantly, this level of insecurity is detrimental and will follow you throughout medicine. And for the record, you will get many interviews with your list, which is appropriate. You don't need a gap year.

If you're looking for suggestions, Toledo and NEOMED should be a good safeties as you're from Ohio. Furthermore, UMass might be a bit low yield, replace it with some other mid-tier like Miami, Einstein, Wake Forest or whatever you'd like.

You can also add Duke, Northwestern, Sinai, Hopkins, Harvard if you desire.

Reactions: 2 users
You have a 4.0 and a 524 - that leads me to think you can analyze that there is nothing iffy about your ECs. Also leads me to think that you know there is no difference between 3.9x vs. 4.0. Though I get that being pre-med is just living with stress constantly, this level of insecurity is detrimental and will follow you throughout medicine. And for the record, you will get many interviews with your list, which is appropriate. You don't need a gap year.

If you're looking for suggestions, Toledo and NEOMED should be a good safeties as you're from Ohio. Furthermore, UMass might be a bit low yield, replace it with some other mid-tier like Miami, Einstein, Wake Forest or whatever you'd like.

You can also add Duke, Northwestern, Sinai, Hopkins, Harvard if you desire.
Yeah you're absolutely right. I like what I have on my app, I just keep freaking myself out by comparing myself to the people who have 1000+ clinical hours from scribing or a first authorship on a publication so I feel like my stats are the only things that are making me stand out. I know that it matters more the lessons I learned than physical hours though. Thanks for being honest, I definitely needed to hear that. And thank you for the school suggestions! I didn't know that about UMass and was looking for more mid-tier schools so those are extremely helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah you're absolutely right. I like what I have on my app, I just keep freaking myself out by comparing myself to the people who have 1000+ clinical hours from scribing or a first authorship on a publication so I feel like my stats are the only things that are making me stand out. I know that it matters more the lessons I learned than physical hours though. Thanks for being honest, I definitely needed to hear that. And thank you for the school suggestions! I didn't know that about UMass and was looking for more mid-tier schools so those are extremely helpful.
All you need is 100+ clinical hours for most schools except school that like lot of service hours (ex: Chicago) provided you can articulate well in the essays. Probably 0.1% of premeds have first author publication.

Oh my goodness, a 3.9x is absolutely parsecs away from a 4.0. . Stop stressing and go to med school.

• Love
All you need is 100+ clinical hours for most schools except school that like lot of service hours (ex: Chicago) provided you can articulate well in the essays. Probably 0.1% of premeds have first author publication.
Gotcha. People on reddit have been saying 150 hrs is the low end (even with COVID) so I was worried but I definitely think I can talk meaningfully about these clinical hours. Also true about the first author publication but I see so many people with at least a publication regardless of what authorship. Of course, I need to stop comparing myself and just focus on my own app. But thank you for your advice and wisdom!

Oh my goodness, a 3.9x is absolutely parsecs away from a 4.0. . Stop stressing and go to med school.
Thank you doctor! I was just wondering if the *perfect* 4.0 was valued more than a 3.9 lol. I'll do my best, appreciate your encouragement though :)