WAMC AA Male 2.8 gpa 525 mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makeithappen14

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances if I earned a 2.8-2.9 GPA and scored a 525+ on the MCAT. Strong upward trend in my last two years- near perfect 4.0 for my last two years. Currently volunteering at a highly ranked hospital and also non clinical volunteering at a HIV/AIDS nonprofit. I am an AA male. Nontraditional by age. I struggled my first two years due to being diagnosed with a illness which hindered my ability to be a good student. Help please!!!
P.S this MCAT score is based off my ability to score high on standardized tests all my life.

Members don't see this ad.

The upward trend will definitely help. Your URM status will give you quite a bit of an advantage as well; however, I'm still concerned that you will be auto-screened out at some schools because of that sub-3.0 GPA. I suggest taking some DIY post-bacc classes just to get past that 3.0 mark.

Once you get past that mark, and you actually score 525+ on the MCAT, you'll be good to go for many schools.

Also, keep in mind that the MCAT is absolutely nothing like any past standardized test you have taken, especially if your talking about tests like the ACT/SAT. I nearly maxed out on both of those tests, but I couldn't even break 520 on the MCAT. Once you actually get a 525, let us know.

Reactions: 1 users
The upward trend will definitely help. Your URM status will give you quite a bit of an advantage as well; however, I'm still concerned that you will be auto-screened out at some schools because of that sub-3.0 GPA. I suggest taking some DIY post-bacc classes just to get past that 3.0 mark.

Once you get past that mark, and you actually score 525+ on the MCAT, you'll be good to go for many schools.

Also, keep in mind that the MCAT is absolutely nothing like any past standardized test you have taken, especially if your talking about tests like the ACT/SAT. I nearly maxed out on both of those tests, but I couldn't even break 520 on the MCAT. Once you actually get a 525, let us know.

But what if I wanted to apply directly from undergrad? I know that most post bacc cost money and even DIY would be out of my price range. Do you really think that I won't have a chance at any MD schools. Not even my state schools like Mizzou or private in state like SLU or Wash U?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer until you have the MCAT score. Don't plan on a 525 but work and study as hard as you can and do the best you can. Your GPA might indicate you need to really review content so be sure you take content review seriously. Have you thought about delaying graduation and staying a fifth year to work on your GPA? Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Nobody will be able to give you a definitive answer until you have the MCAT score. Don't plan on a 525 but work and study as hard as you can and do the best you can. Your GPA might indicate you need to really review content so be sure you take content review seriously. Have you thought about delaying graduation and staying a fifth year to work on your GPA? Good luck.

I wish that I can stay a fifth year but due to my financial aid, I will run out of money in my senior year. I don't have the money to pay for an additional year or do a DIY post bacc so I wanted to apply directly from undergrad. What do you think?

What are my chances if I earned a 2.8-2.9 GPA and scored a 525+ on the MCAT. Strong upward trend in my last two years- near perfect 4.0 for my last two years. Currently volunteering at a highly ranked hospital and also non clinical volunteering at a HIV/AIDS nonprofit. I am an AA male. Nontraditional by age. I struggled my first two years due to being diagnosed with a illness which hindered my ability to be a good student. Help please!!!
P.S this MCAT score is based off my ability to score high on standardized tests all my life.
Have you actually taken the MCAT?

Have you actually taken the MCAT?
No I haven't but I have looked over many practice books and test and not to sound arrogant or delusional but I'm sure I can score 525+

Come back when you have an actual score.

Reactions: 5 users
But what if I wanted to apply directly from undergrad? I know that most post bacc cost money and even DIY would be out of my price range. Do you really think that I won't have a chance at any MD schools. Not even my state schools like Mizzou or private in state like SLU or Wash U?

SLU or Wash U don't care that you are a MO resident. They are private institutions that evaluate all applicants equally. Your best chance would be Mizzou.

No one can say for sure without an actual MCAT at this point, but applying with that GPA is extremely risky. Like I said, my primary concern is you getting auto-screened out.

I still strongly suggest a DIY (or doing a 5th year like candbgirl suggested). A DIY would probably be cheaper; look into some local CC's. You shouldn't have to spend more than a few hundred dollars for a 3 credit hour class. What you do is ultimately up to you, but if I were in your shoes, I would invest the money in the DIY and actually get something out of it (an improved GPA) vs. gambling my money away on apps for a low chance of success.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be one area where being URM AA Male really helps you. Normally, a sub-3.0 GPA gets you auto screened out. But a 520+ MCAT and URM probably gets you back in for a closer look. You will need to demonstrate why the first two years of undergrad were an aberration and show a really strong last two years. As others have said, a longer period of academic excellence would be greatly preferable, but there will probably be schools willing to take a risk on you so long as you can prove that it's a small one...

FYI, a 520+ MCAT is much harder than it sounds like you think it is. A great number of 800-SAT 140+ IQ students fall into the 510-520 MCAT range. Do the very best you can and best of luck to you --

Reactions: 4 users
OP maybe you could apply to the HBCU schools and your state school(s). So much depends on your MCAT because your GPA is very low for MD. Have you considered DO? Your GPA is really low for DO too but ... Good luck and let us know how you do on the MCAT.

No I haven't but I have looked over many practice books and test and not to sound arrogant or delusional but I'm sure I can score 525+
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
I have a 2.8 but I'm SURE I can score 525 plus....
Ha ha ha ha ha.

Take the MCAT if you're so inclined OP, I wish you all the best with that. But don't bank on a 525; be prepared to received a much more realistic score and act accordingly. If you got a 512, and required years of post bacc to raise your GPA, would you still do it?

I scored 2310 and 35 on my SAT and ACT, respectively. That said, I still only got a 518 on my MCAT... goes to show you how difficult it is to hit 520+. I have no doubt that you could do it but until you have done it, don't give yourself false hope that you can get into an MD with a 2.8 GPA.

Wow, it takes a special kind of arrogance to assume that you're gonna score in the 99.9th percentile on test taken by every pre-med in both the United States and Canada... and with a 2.9 undergrad GPA to boot. Even people who statistically might be capable of scoring that high (and let's be clear, despite your upward trend, you are not one of them) don't assume that.

I scored 2310 and 35 on my SAT and ACT, respectively. That said, I still only got a 518 on my MCAT... goes to show you how difficult it is to hit 520+. I have no doubt that you could do it but until you have done it, don't give yourself false hope that you can get into an MD with a 2.8 GPA.
2120 SAT 519 MCAT...Was shooting for 520 or better; missed by a single point. 520+ is hard. Unless you're consistently doing that well on official AAMC practice tests, taken under conditions that approximate test day don't say you're going to get an insane score like a 525. If you do that well, and have two solid years behind you...A lot can be forgiven, with an illness that's resolved itself and two years of 4.0, plus a rockstar MCAT and URM status.