• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

WAMC added pre-med track as a junior this year

send_help

Oct 3, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
So I found out today that AAMC calculates GPA a bit different than my university does (a B+ at my uni is 3.5 but AAMC sees it as a 3.3). I only have a couple of these but since it changes my SGPA/GPA a bit I wanted to get an idea of my chances.

My SPGA is 3.57 and my cumulative GPA is 3.8. I haven't taken either orgo yet or biochem, but I'm taking both orgos with labs this summer. I'm a computer science major, so I've had to take some upper level math courses that haven't done my SGPA any favors (B+ in Calc II, Vector Calc and discrete structures).

I know it's a bit ridiculous to ask about chances this early but I need someone to tell me I'm on the right track. I was volunteering at the hospital by my school once a week until classes got shut down due to the virus. I had also been working as a research assistant in a lab for a week before we got shut down. I'm working at a local foodbank once a week or so since I've had to come home from school and plan to continue all summer. I have ~50 hours of shadowing an ortho surgeon.

Oct 14, 2011
  1. Academic Administration
You need to do your best on your remaining prerequisites and upper-level biology classes. Your university probably has a prehealth advisor or club for you to connect with. Finally keep reviewing information from AAMC/AMCAS for applicants and network with current students at medical schools to see if there's anyone they know with a similar background.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.