WAMC / Advice for OOS Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexa1998

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm really curious to see if anyone has any advice for an OOS applicant. I'm wondering what the statistics are for OOS applicants admitted to some of the schools that I'm applying to. Thanks for the help in advance!

Date of submission: 6/16/2020
Overall GPA: 3.89
Science GPA: 3.89
DAT score: AA22, PAT24, QR21, RC24, BIO23, GC20, OC20, TS21
State of Residence: VA

Undergrad Attended:
Virginia Tech
Major: Biological Sciences - Biomedical Option
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 600 as dental assistant (father's practice), 160 shadowing (100 with father, 32 with two other general dentists, 20 with an orthodontist) - I have slight concerns about not having a lot of non-family shadowing experience and I'd appreciate any wisdom that anyone has
Volunteering Experience: Special Olympics (265 hours), Fraternity Philanthropy (500 hours), Leadership and Social Change Community (100 hours)
Employment: Private Tutor (140 hours), Camp Counselor (150 hours), Skating Rink employee (500 hours), Dental Assistant (see above)
Research: N/A
Other Extracurriculars: Fraternity Vice President (280 hours), Fraternity Judicial Board Executive (520 hours), ASDA Pre-Dental Club Member (~100 hours)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Fraternity Award/Scholarship, Dean's List every semester of college
LOR type and strength: 1 general dentist, 1 orthodontist, 1 science professor, 1 individual letter written on behalf of pre-health committee

School list:
Case Western
MUSC
Maryland
Ohio State
Louisville
UK
VCU
UNC
UPenn
Pitt

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do schools think about shadowing with parents? I think some may require their minimum number to be non-family. Something to clarify maybe

Reactions: 1 user
You have a high GPA, high DAT, and fill up every other part of your app nicely, so your stats are in line with the schools you’re applying for.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do schools think about shadowing with parents? I think some may require their minimum number to be non-family. Something to clarify maybe
I haven't seen any schools explicitly state something like this on their websites. OSU has a statement about how family shadowing is acceptable but diversity in practices shadowed is encouraged. I didn't know how much weight schools gave this sort of situation as long as the number of hours was there.

I haven't seen any schools explicitly state something like this on their websites. OSU has a statement about how family shadowing is acceptable but diversity in practices shadowed is encouraged. I didn't know how much weight schools gave this sort of situation as long as the number of hours was there.
Yeah I wouldn’t worry about it. Apply and gain more shadowing, if needed, after the fact.

I wouldn't worry about it, Shadowing is to show interest and be exposed to the profession. Growing up with Dentistry in the family certainly accomplishes both.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just going to comment on your OOS schools - UNC barely accepts any OOS people (like 1-2), and I don't think your DAT would be high enough for you to be one of its OOS enrollees. MUSC is crazy expensive for OOS people, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to gain residency there, so keep that in mind. With the above info about these two schools, I'd probably add like two more!

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above. To be on the safe side you should probably add a couple of private schools who accept people from your state as safety schools.