WAMC + Advice on School List (3.95cGPA, 4.0sGPA, 527 MCAT but with F on transcript)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gardenbumblebee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE

Hello! I have been a long-time lurker on this forum, but since I am planning to apply to medical school in the 2022-2023 cycle, I wanted to make my own post and hopefully get some advice about my situation + school list. I know my stats are good, but a lot of my high school classes were dual/concurrent enrollment so I would have some community college grades on my AMCAS report. In my sophomore year of high school, I was facing some very extenuating and sudden circumstances (being victim of gang violence, facing houselessness, etc.) that forced me to withdraw from high school temporarily. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to withdraw from my community college class and ended with an F in the class. I did retake the class senior year of high school when I was in a better mental and physical state, but I do understand that adcoms are not going to look favorably upon that F. I worked very hard in undergrad and got a 4.0 GPA in a double major + I got an A in the rest of the community college classes I took in college, so my cGPA was able to recover.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.95 cGPA (with the F included), 4.0 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 527
  3. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  4. Undergraduate institution or category: T20
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1000+ hours; worked in free clinics and streetside clinics; was a caseworker in a hospital that connected low income patients with continuity of care resources
  6. Research experience and productivity: ~1000 hours in one lab, many posters, some conference awards, 1 mid-author pub; also have one first author pub from independent research project, ~200 hours clinical research with one poster
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: I didn't shadow during undergrad but I did scribe at the clinics I volunteered at and worked closely with doctors for my projects. Will definitely try to get some formalized shadowing hours this year
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: 2000+ hours volunteered in homeless shelters, taught and developed public health curriculum for at-risk students, co-started clinic for low-income mothers and volunteered there, some food serving stuff, organized donation drives for unhoused youth and hosted career workshops for them
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): couple of public health internships, co-started undergrad org that gave students opportunities to work with doctors and asylum seekers at the border, gen chem undergrad TA for like a year, designed and taught my own classes for undergrad (one is medical terms in another language, one is about youth homelessness), first gap year on a fellowship abroad, and my second gap year (this year) doing some research and being a part-time resident counselor at a youth shelter
  10. Relevant honors or awards: nothing special just a couple of school-based awards and a couple of regional awards for civic engagement
I'm from the UCR region, so I will definitely be applying there but I am not sure what other schools I should target based on my situation and stats. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you do not get a pass on that after your story there is no justice in the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
2023 entry? Tell us your MCAT breakdown but I would focus on a good fit and interview prep so you don't undermine your application on your own sccord.
Yes 2023 entry! I recently got my MCAT score back so it’s too late for this cycle. My score breakdown is 132/131/132/132 with the 131 being in CARS. Thank you for your advice! I’ll definitely start looking into school’s missions and identify good fits

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody cares about that F, even if it had been because you just slacked off in high school. You smoked undergrad, you have an excellent adversity story/reason for the F, and your ECs are awesome. As are your stats. Aim high. Start with Harvard. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE

Hello! I have been a long-time lurker on this forum, but since I am planning to apply to medical school in the 2022-2023 cycle, I wanted to make my own post and hopefully get some advice about my situation + school list. I know my stats are good, but a lot of my high school classes were dual/concurrent enrollment so I would have some community college grades on my AMCAS report. In my sophomore year of high school, I was facing some very extenuating and sudden circumstances (being victim of gang violence, facing houselessness, etc.) that forced me to withdraw from high school temporarily. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to withdraw from my community college class and ended with an F in the class. I did retake the class senior year of high school when I was in a better mental and physical state, but I do understand that adcoms are not going to look favorably upon that F. I worked very hard in undergrad and got a 4.0 GPA in a double major + I got an A in the rest of the community college classes I took in college, so my cGPA was able to recover.

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.95 cGPA (with the F included), 4.0 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 527
  3. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  4. Undergraduate institution or category: T20
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1000+ hours; worked in free clinics and streetside clinics; was a caseworker in a hospital that connected low income patients with continuity of care resources
  6. Research experience and productivity: ~1000 hours in one lab, many posters, some conference awards, 1 mid-author pub; also have one first author pub from independent research project, ~200 hours clinical research with one poster
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: I didn't shadow during undergrad but I did scribe at the clinics I volunteered at and worked closely with doctors for my projects. Will definitely try to get some formalized shadowing hours this year
  8. Non-clinical volunteering: 2000+ hours volunteered in homeless shelters, taught and developed public health curriculum for at-risk students, co-started clinic for low-income mothers and volunteered there, some food serving stuff, organized donation drives for unhoused youth and hosted career workshops for them
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): couple of public health internships, co-started undergrad org that gave students opportunities to work with doctors and asylum seekers at the border, gen chem undergrad TA for like a year, designed and taught my own classes for undergrad (one is medical terms in another language, one is about youth homelessness), first gap year on a fellowship abroad, and my second gap year (this year) doing some research and being a part-time resident counselor at a youth shelter
  10. Relevant honors or awards: nothing special just a couple of school-based awards and a couple of regional awards for civic engagement
I'm from the UCR region, so I will definitely be applying there but I am not sure what other schools I should target based on my situation and stats. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated!
You're golden; aim high!
I suggest:

Kaiser
ALL UCs
NYU
Columbia
JHU
U Penn
WashU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
U Chicago
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
Pitt
UTSW
USC/Keck
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
SUNY-SB
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM

To give an update, I was admitted into UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Kaiser, and Mount Sinai! Thank you everyone for your help and reassurance :)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
To give an update, I was admitted into UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Kaiser, and Mount Sinai! Thank you everyone for your help and reassurance :)
Congratulations!! I’m surprised you you don’t have even more acceptances, as your app is incredible! Would you mind sharing where you got interview invites as well?

Congratulations!! I’m surprised you you don’t have even more acceptances, as your app is incredible! Would you mind sharing where you got interview invites as well?
Thank you! I am very happy with my options and wanted to stay in California so this cycle honestly could have not played out any better!

For anyone who was curious, I received interview invites from:
-Harvard
-Stanford
-UCLA/UCSD/UCSF/UCI/UCR
-Kaiser
-Mount Sinai
-Georgetown
-Duke
-Yale

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations! Getting 5 UCs is a great achievement! Which one are you committing to? Any FA or merit besides Kaiser?

Thank you! I am very happy with my options and wanted to stay in California so this cycle honestly could have not played out any better!

For anyone who was curious, I received interview invites from:
-Harvard
-Stanford
-UCLA/UCSD/UCSF/UCI/UCR
-Kaiser
-Mount Sinai
-Georgetown
-Duke
-Yale
Honestly that’s awesome! Congratulations future doc!