WAMC, advice on school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horses7946

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
20 y/o female, junior in college, Pennsylvania resident, applying this application cycle, looking for advice on realistic schools to apply to

Cumulative GPA: 3.2
science GPA: 3.1-3.2
last 45: 3.5

GRE: not taken yet

Veterinary Experience:

-~700 hours as a veterinary assistant in a small animal practice

Animal Experience:
-~700 hours as a horse trailguide and caretaker in a national park

Extracurriculars:
-Pre-vet club
-Students Helping Rescue Animals (SHRA) club
-Women's Lacrosse Club
-Learning assistant in a Microbiology lab
-Appalachia Service Project (high school) 5 years
-Volunteering in soup kitchen

Employment:
-Custodial staff in college basketball stadium 2 years
-Dining room attendant in college dining hall 1 year
-Dietary aide in a retirement home 2 years (high school)

My main concern is my GPA. I had a rough first year of college, and even though I have brought my grades up for the past 2 years it has been hard to come back from it. Next semester I am retaking several of the classes I did poorly in, which should help me to raise my GPA a little more.

If anyone has any suggestions as to which schools would be the most realistic, or any suggestions for me to strengthen my application, it would be well appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of what you can do to spice up your application I would say research is probably your best bet given COVID. There are many labs that give data mining opportunities to undergrads.

If you’re willing to go outside of the US, your GPA and experience would be very solid for SGU and Ross. For US schools I wouldn’t even say that your GPA is very low. Newer schools like Arizona and LIU are really more concerned with who you are as a person and how you learn.

Some of my friends got into US schools with a 3.0.
Make sure to absolutely crush your essays!

I go to Penn so if you have school specific questions I can probably answer any of those, or questions about my app.