WAMC: Am I applying broadly enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wobwob59

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.89/3.93
2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 521 (131/128/130/132)
3. State of residence: NY
4. Ethnicity/Race: Asian
5. Undergraduate Institution: Top 20 University
6. Clinical Experience: 120 hours helping patients regain mobility after surgery by walking with them around the hospital, 50 hours facilitating discussion panels for patients at off campus events sponsored by the hospital
7. Research experience and productivity: ~1000 hours doing research. 200 in a public health study lab, 200 in a hands-off neurology lab, >600 in a clinical neurology lab, with 1 first author publication in a low impact journal.
8. Shadowing Experience: 100 hours shadowing (20 in general neurology rounds, 80 in a neurology clinic)
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 160 hours building homes with Habitat for Humanity (I was a board member and about 10 hours went to fundraising volunteering), 110 hours tutoring underprivileged elementary school students, 30 hours volunteering with children suffering from neurological disorders (not in the hospital), 40 hours with Relay for Life
10. Other extracurriculars: 150 hours mentoring freshmen on campus, 110 hours teaching Gen Chem through Academic Services, 50 hours working with an honor society (I was a Board member of mentoring)
SCHOOL LIST: Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt Sinai, Case Western, UVA, Dartmouth, University of Rochester, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Boston University, Hofstra/Northwell, Albert Einstein, Stony Brook, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Downstate, Albany, Buffalo (SUNY), NYMC, Drexel, George Washington, University of Maryland, Penn State, Wake Forest

In the end, I'm hoping to have anywhere between 22-25 schools on my list when I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

You can delete school such as NYMC, Albany, Drexel and Penn State since your stats are so high they assume you will attend elsewhere and not interview you. You could add Washington University, Einstein, Duke.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Add Dartmouth and Case as well
I added Dartmouth and Case, but should I consider applying to more schools with lower overall statistics? I have been told that my list was bottom heavy, so I've changed it recently, but I can't help but feel that my list isn't well rounded enough.

1. cGPA and sGPA: 3.89/3.93
2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 521 (131/128/130/132)
3. State of residence: NY
4. Ethnicity/Race: Asian
5. Undergraduate Institution: Top 20 University
6. Clinical Experience: 120 hours helping patients regain mobility after surgery by walking with them around the hospital, 50 hours facilitating discussion panels for patients at off campus events sponsored by the hospital
7. Research experience and productivity: ~1000 hours doing research. 200 in a public health study lab, 200 in a hands-off neurology lab, >600 in a clinical neurology lab, with 1 first author publication in a low impact journal.
8. Shadowing Experience: 100 hours shadowing (20 in general neurology rounds, 80 in a neurology clinic)
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 160 hours building homes with Habitat for Humanity (I was a board member and about 10 hours went to fundraising volunteering), 110 hours tutoring underprivileged elementary school students, 30 hours volunteering with children suffering from neurological disorders (not in the hospital), 40 hours with Relay for Life
10. Other extracurriculars: 150 hours mentoring freshmen on campus, 110 hours teaching Gen Chem through Academic Services, 50 hours working with an honor society (I was a Board member of mentoring)
SCHOOL LIST: Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Mt Sinai, Case Western, UVA, Dartmouth, University of Rochester, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Boston University, Hofstra/Northwell, Albert Einstein, Stony Brook, SUNY Upstate, SUNY Downstate, Albany, Buffalo (SUNY), NYMC, Drexel, George Washington, University of Maryland, Penn State, Wake Forest

In the end, I'm hoping to have anywhere between 22-25 schools on my list when I apply.
I suggest these, and also getting in more patient contact experience and service to others less fortunate than yourself:
Yale
WashU
Vanderbilt
NYU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
JHU
Harvard
Stanford
Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
Duke
U VA
U MI
BU
Case
USC/Keck
Mayo
U Cincy
Pitt
USF Morsani
Ohio State
Hofstra
U IA
UCSF
Albert Einstein
Emory
Rochester
Dartmouth
Miami
Western MI
Jefferson
U VM
All SUNYs.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these, and also getting in more patient contact experience and service to others less fortunate than yourself:
Yale
WashU
Vanderbilt
NYU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
JHU
Harvard
Stanford
Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
Duke
U VA
U MI
BU
Case
USC/Keck
Mayo
U Cincy
Pitt
USF Morsani
Ohio State
Hofstra
U IA
UCSF
Albert Einstein
Emory
Rochester
Dartmouth
Miami
Western MI
Jefferson
U VM
All SUNYs.

In regards to volunteering and patient contact, I wrote down my future hours in the application, but is there really anything else I can do at this point?