WAMC American Citizen with Permanent Residence in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianamerican

Reaction score
SOS I'm an American citizen who has lived in Canada for most of my life (permanent resident there now). Really naive about US schools, but interested in learning/practicing in the US! Based on my understanding I should be an out-of-state applicant for each school I apply to (correct me if I'm wrong).

Really no clue who to put based on my stats and circumstances, really would appreciate the help! My commitments to athletics have certainly caused my GPA to be lower than it could be and limited my opportunity for extracurriculars.

State/Country of Residence: Born in Illinois, Live in Canada

Ties to other States/Regions: No

URM? (Y/N): No, white male

Year in School: Completed degree

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Neuroscience

Graduate Degrees (if applicable): None

Cumulative GPA: 3.56 (big upwards trend though, last 2 years have been 3.9ish)

Science GPA: 3.50

MCAT Score(s): (496, 508, 513)

Research Experience: A bit of assistance on independent research projects, no pubs at the moment

Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): None

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): Volunteered in hospitals for about 100 hours

Physician Shadowing: Over 500 hours roughly

Non-Clinical Volunteering: Varsity mental health initiative, 100 hours, psychology TA for a year, definitely lacking due to athletic commitments

Other Extracurricular Activities: Varsity athlete for 5 years at the top level of Canadian University Sport, played semi-professional (major junior hockey) 5 years prior, working out, various recreational sports

Other Employment History: Semi-professional sport, summer jobs including sports camps, car dealership, hockey coaching

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): Yes

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): None at the moment

Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Unsure, but willing to learn more

Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): Live in a smaller area so definitely an interest

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply to both MD and DO schools. For MD schools I suggest these:
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest