WAMC and Advice (should I retake the DAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cl19

Reaction score
I took the DAT today and I was pretty happy with my score compared to how I scored on the practice exams in booster. I'm little worried about my PAT score not being high.

Date of submission: Applying this upcoming cycle (2022-2023)
Overall GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.57
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.54
DAT score:
22 AA (22 TS, 22 Bio, 22 Chem, 21 OC, 21 RC, 23 QR) | 20 PAT
State of Residence: OH

Undergrad:
Ohio State University
Major: Biology
Minor: Business
Minority?: No - Asian
Reapplicant?: No
Nontrad?: No

Shadowing Experience: 90-100 hours with GP, 6 hours with ortho (there will be more)
Volunteering Experience: 8+ years of volunteering at local martial art school, 6+ years of volunteering at local summer camp every summer (received the lifetime president's volunteer and service award last year)
Employment: None
Research: 3.5 years of undergrad research/volunteer at the dental school (published 1 article as co-author)
Other extracurriculars: pre-dental club, martial art (15+ years of experience)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's lists every semester (except SP 20)
LOR type and strength: General dentist (strong), OChem prof (strong), Anatomy prof (mild/strong) research adviser (strong),
Misc Info: Took 1st bio class (general) at community college and physics 1 credit is from AP

School list:
  • Ohio State University
  • Case Western
  • U of Michigan (reach)
  • U of Detroit Mercy
  • U Penn (reach)
  • University of Tennesse
  • University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
  • Rutgers (reach)
  • NY University (reach)
  • University of Maryland
  • Boston University
  • Indiana University
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Illinois at Chicago
** I would like to stay in-state for the dental school or nearby state

I know I don't have a strong GPA (the virtual class b/c of covid in my freshman year hit me hard), and I don't have many volunteering activities, but any other schools to add to my list or any other advice/suggestions about my overall application would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
:clap:Congratulations on those scores! With a strong personal statement included with what you have above you should easily get interviews. IMO, a retake is not necessary.

Keep us posted and wishing you the best in the interview process.

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I hope you are joking about a retake. You're chances look great. Take Umich off the list. You'll thank me later.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be going to pre dental day event at Ohio State Dental School in a week and will be visiting few near by schools later in the spring.

Reactions: 1 user