WAMC? And also school list advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

16ccjones

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really need help finding out where I fit, in terms of my school list and ability to apply. I know I have stats, but I'm not sure where I stand on the EC front.

sGPA: 3.97
cGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 523

Clinical volunteering

200 hours volunteering at the local hospital.
Another 50 hours volunteering there and mentoring a crossingpoints (special needs) student who wants to work there in the future.

Non clinical volunteering

80 hours volunteering at a dog shelter.

50 hours volunteering at the local underprivileged schools near my college. I Read to kindergarten students, and tutored in the computer lab.

40 hours as a part of an organization that does science experiments at lower income schools after-school to get them interested in science.

research

probably around 300-400 hours of research in an animal behavior and endocrinology lab with one 1st author publication.

teaching/tutoring

150 hours as an undergraduate TA for intro biology, with half of those hours teaching the lab portion of the class alone (if that even matters).

Another 50 hours TA'ing histology.

500ish hours tutoring for my university's tutoring center.

shadowing

only around 50 hours, a mix of pediatrics and family medicine.

Please let me know what you think.

State residency?

References?

What does your prehealth advisor think?

What type of medical school fits what you want?

Shadowing hours: 50 hours is not that much compared to the general application population. Non-clinical volunteering/community service is okay. Clinical volunteering needs more details. Teaching/tutoring is great but lots of premeds tutor.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
WashU
Yale
Hopkins
U Chicago
Penn
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Sinai
Cornell
Stanford
BU
Case
Mayo
Pitt
UCLA
UCSF
UCSD
Hofstra
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Your state school(s)

I am from PA.

I have one letter from my endocrinology professor who I do research with, one from my histology professor who I now TA for, one from an anthropology professor who I took two classes with (chair of dept.), hospital coordinator, and work supervisor.

My prehealth advisor though my application and writing was solid (we had to do a pre-app to get a committee letter). She said I had a good chance out of most students in my school but people say dont trust your advisor.

Im just not sure if I have enough clinical and nonclinical volunteering for top schools.

@Goro please share your expertise and judgement.
I agree that you need to get in more nonclinical volunteering. Stop tutoring unless it's done for poor kids. Get in maybe another 50 hrs clinical exposure.
Do what you love and love what you do.

Once you do that, I suggest:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Yale
JHU
U Chicago
U Penn
Northwestern
Columbia
Harvard