MD WAMC and School List-GPA 3.95, MCAT 500 and retake pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctortiger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please make recommendations on any of my school choices and please add more mid-tier and low-tier if necessary. Also, I'd love advice about my situation and if I should withdraw my application or not due to my late MCAT.

Cumulative GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 4.00
Undergraduate School: Top 25 Public School

1st MCAT: 495 (124,121,125,125)
2nd MCAT: 500 (126,123,126,125)
3rd MCAT: taking it Aug 31st

South Carolina Resident, Traditional Applicant: White Male

Extracurriculars:

• (Gap Year-paid) Clinical Research Assistant for top orthopedic research group (will complete over 2000 hours)
  • (Executive of Student Government and Senator) - Acted as liaison between student body and administrators while leading a committee of fellow students (400+100 hours)

• (Clinical-paid) - Public health outreach for underserved populations in the area (175 hours)

• (Clinical-non paid) - Pathology intern and completed over 30 autopsies and published first author case report (180 hours)

• (Leadership/Volunteer) - Pre-health advisor for incoming and current students (100 hours)

• Bench Research at my institution (350 hours) (Research presented at two conferences but no publications yet)

• Public Health Research (200 hours) (no publication)

• Clinical shadowing (70 hours )
  • Award for being one of the top students in my college

• (Non Clinical paid) Health insurance work (950 hours)
I have more stuff to put but for the sake of brevity/anonymity that is about it.

School List:
Reach
Emory
UNC Chapel Hill
Univ of Florida
Univ of Colorado Denver
Target
MUSC
Wake Forest
Univ of South Carolina-Greenville
Safety
Univ of South Carolina-Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

No, I am only considering MD schools because I hope to go into orthopedic surgery in the Southeast region and I have heard from local doctors that there is a stigma around DO's in this region for more competitive specialities.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, I'd say your chances at MD are slim to none. A 500 is not even in the bottom 10th percentile for your safety school. Cannot make an informed school list without new MCAT. Have a fair chance at DO though.

Reactions: 2 users
No, I am only considering MD schools because I hope to go into orthopedic surgery in the Southeast region and I have heard from local doctors that there is a stigma around DO's in this region for more competitive specialities.

You should first worry about getting into medical school before worrying about which specialty to you plan on pursuing. Two attempts at the MCAT with 495/500, as @Hi_I'mPaul said, will make it very difficult to get into MD schools. You still have a chance with DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You could receive interviews at your South Carolina schools due to your excellent GPA. The other schools on your list are completely unrealistic. You could also try these schools:
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 2 users
Being a 2x MCAT taker, and your top score at a 500, beggars can't be choosy. And you really shouldn't be gunning for an uber-speciality until you're actually in med school.

Your chances will be best with the SC schools and a broad net to DO schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Please make recommendations on any of my school choices and please add more mid-tier and low-tier if necessary. Also, I'd love advice about my situation and if I should withdraw my application or not due to my late MCAT.

Cumulative GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 4.00
Undergraduate School: Top 25 Public School

1st MCAT: 495 (124,121,125,125)
2nd MCAT: 500 (126,123,126,125)
3rd MCAT: taking it Aug 31st

South Carolina Resident, Traditional Applicant: White Male

Extracurriculars:

• (Gap Year-paid) Clinical Research Assistant for top orthopedic research group (will complete over 2000 hours)
  • (Executive of Student Government and Senator) - Acted as liaison between student body and administrators while leading a committee of fellow students (400+100 hours)

• (Clinical-paid) - Public health outreach for underserved populations in the area (175 hours)

• (Clinical-non paid) - Pathology intern and completed over 30 autopsies and published first author case report (180 hours)

• (Leadership/Volunteer) - Pre-health advisor for incoming and current students (100 hours)

• Bench Research at my institution (350 hours) (Research presented at two conferences but no publications yet)

• Public Health Research (200 hours) (no publication)

• Clinical shadowing (70 hours )
  • Award for being one of the top students in my college

• (Non Clinical paid) Health insurance work (950 hours)
I have more stuff to put but for the sake of brevity/anonymity that is about it.

School List:
Reach
Emory
UNC Chapel Hill
Univ of Florida
Univ of Colorado Denver
Target
MUSC
Wake Forest
Univ of South Carolina-Greenville
Safety
Univ of South Carolina-Columbia

You should really consider applying DO also. You want to be a doctor, right?

When was your second MCAT? If it was recent, I'd really suggest taking the year off and improving the third score by a lot because you may not get it to where you want in a month.

I had similar stats 499/501/513. Not the best but whatever. I feel like you have the same problem as me by looking at your EC. You're stretching yourself thin, doing all these extra things when you should be devoting time to studying.Relax, relieve some stress, clear a month for studying, apply yourself, take a few practice tests and give it another shot. You're obviously not stupid. Then again you may have already did that and you're going to rock this exam, good luck.

I had similar stats 499/501/513. Not the best but whatever. I feel like you have the same problem as me by looking at your EC. You're stretching yourself thin, doing all these extra things when you should be devoting time to studying.Relax, relieve some stress, clear a month for studying, apply yourself, take a few practice tests and give it another shot. You're obviously not stupid. Then again you may have already did that and you're going to rock this exam, good luck.

Did you apply already? How did your cycle go?

Did you apply already? How did your cycle go?
Rejected last cycle, applying again this cycle with 3rd attempt. I don't think you will have any problems even if you are late in the game as long as you get your act right on the MCAT.

You should first worry about getting into medical school before worrying about which specialty to you plan on pursuing. Two attempts at the MCAT with 495/500, as @Hi_I'mPaul said, will make it very difficult to get into MD schools. You still have a chance with DO schools.
I am going to keep an open mind going into medical school about which speciality I want to pursue, but I have a strong personal passion for orthopedics and I would hate to hamstring my dream before it even began. I will consider applying to DO schools but my primary concern right now is improving my MCAT score.

When was your second MCAT? If it was recent, I'd really suggest taking the year off and improving the third score by a lot because you may not get it to where you want in a month.
Both of my MCATs were last summer, June and September 2017. I've been studying for my third retake since the end of May. If my practice tests are subpar, then I plan on either pushing my exam to September or cancel the exam and taking it in January and applying the following cycle.