WAMC and School List Help (3.92 GPA, 516 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shoe1130

Reaction score
  1. GPA: 3.92
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 516 (C/P: 128; CARS: 129; B/B: 127; P/S: 132)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): South Dakota
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Caucasian
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Paid clinical 450+ hours: In this role I worked with mentally disabled patients. Role involved typical duties seen of a CNA or nursing assistant position
    2. Hospital volunteer (50 hours): Involved stocking and cleaning ORs as well as transporting patients
  6. Research experience and productivity
    1. No lab research (haven't been able to get a research position)
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 8 hours shadowing a hospitalist
    2. Able to watch surgeries during my volunteer time (probably doesn't count as shadowing, but I do get to see doctors at work)
  8. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. ~35-40 hours volunteering through my athletic team
  9. Other extracurricular activities
    1. Scholarship athlete at my undergrad school
    2. TA for bio lab
    3. Team leader for my sport
    4. student-athlete related club member (biggest contribution involved being on a team that developed plans to increase mental health awareness around the school campus)
    5. Enrolled in my school's honor program (involves a research project and presentation at the end of my senior year)
    6. Involved in intramural sports (when not in-season)
  10. Potential School List:
    1. USD Sanford School of Medicine (state school)
    2. U of Minnesota (twin cities)
    3. Creighton
    4. U of Iowa
    5. Mayo (?)
    6. U of Colorado
Hi! I just wanted to make this post to get a good idea of what my chances are and what schools I should apply to for this upcoming cycle. I started my school list above, but I was wondering if I could get some assistance in making a complete list. I only have 6 schools listed at the moment, but I plan to apply to more when I get a more complete idea of where I should be looking.

The thing I am most worried about is my low non-clinical volunteering. For starters, I didn't decide medicine was what I for sure wanted to pursue until after my freshman year, and I didn't want to be involved in too much outside of athletics and school that first year because I was still adjusting. During my sophomore year, I had volunteer opportunities set up, and then they proceeded to fall through once COVID hit. Same thing with physician shadowing...I was lucky enough I was able to shadow once before hospitals stopped allowing it. I have applied to be a crisis textline volunteer as that sounded interesting, but I haven't heard anything from them in a month. I'm hoping that my heavy involvement in other ECs both during and outside the school year can help make up for this deficit.

Any advice on creating a school list/how competitive I am would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You could add any of these schools to your application:
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Cincinnati
USF Morsani
Miami

Reactions: 1 user
You could add any of these schools to your application:
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Cincinnati
USF Morsani
Miami
I was wondering how having no research experience typically affects school lists. Is it uncommon for OP to have Mayo interested in high stat applicants with well rounded ECs and NOT have any research?

You have plenty of clinical experience. Also I would for sure double dip the surgeries as “shadowing.” Tru your best for non clinical volunteering before app time. Are you D1? Athlete status will get some attention.

Faha has given you some good schools. I think you can take your shot at Mayo and other schools on your current list.

in addition look into Loyola, RFU, Rochester, Gtown, BU, Wake Forest, Tulane, Emory, Vermont, Tufts.

Reactions: 1 user