WAMC and School List Help (515, 3.86)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangescone

Reaction score
  1. 3.86 cGPA and 3.77 sGPA
  2. 515 MCAT (129/130/128/128)
  3. State of residence- Colorado
  4. ORM
  5. Good undergrad school-my undergrad was jesuit, which might help with jesuit med schools
  6. 220 hours of clinical volunteering in an urgent care/emergency room
  7. 640 research hours in molecular biology (two different labs over two different summers) with one big presentation; will be starting a gap year job in clinical research at a T20 school soon and will have over 500 hours by the end of July
  8. 66 hours shadowing (8 family medicine, 24 hours plastic surgery, 8 emergency medicine, 8 pediatrics, 18 oncology)
  9. 100 hours volunteering in a clinic that serves an underserved Spanish-speaking community in Denver, 500 hours working at a long-term care facility doing Covid testing and planning activities for the residents, about 65 hours crocheting blankets for WarmUp America
  10. 190 hours as a general chemistry tutor, study abroad experience (all classes in Spanish), member of Spanish conversation group throughout college
  11. Graduated magna cum laude, Presidential scholarship recipient, Spanish Honors society, Deans List awards and Top 10 in my class my freshman year-distinguished first year award
  12. A large part of my application is revolving around my interest in serving under-served Spanish-speaking patients and pushing for structural competency in the US healthcare system. I was a double Spanish/Bio major and was a public health minor. I love the public health side of medicine and would love to incorporate serving Spanish-speaking patients into my medical career. I just completed a virtual Public and Global Health Internship based out of Oaxaca, Mexico (my original plan was to actually go to Mexico during my gap year but COVID killed that plan). I also got my Wilderness First Responder certification through a spring break program (100 hours of course time) but don't actively do anything with it- I mostly got it because I am a big skier and sailor!
  13. Interested in primary care mostly (community health, global health)

I need some advice on a school list, because based on my LizzyM (72.6) and WARS (80) scores, I think the list would be top-heavy and I want to be realistic. Also any help or advice on what to do to improve my application is much appreciated!

@Goro @Faha @LizzyM

Members don't see this ad.

You have a great, well rounded application. But give us your list first. Definitely have your state school. Some schools I can recommend that fit your mission are UCLA, Miami (especially with MPH possibility), UCSF, BU.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Colorado
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Case Western
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Boston University
Kaiser

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great, well rounded application. But give us your list first. Definitely have your state school. Some schools I can recommend that fit your mission are UCLA, Miami (especially with MPH possibility), UCSF, BU.
Thank you so much! I was definitely looking into UCLA and UCSF because I would love to go back to California, but they are so competitive for out of state, but I might just shoot my shot. I haven't looked into Miami too much, so I will check that out because I am considering MD/MPH. My list (with room to add) is currently:

Colorado
Medical College Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin (i have a personal connection)
Vermont
Creighton
Georgetown
Loyola
Rush
Kaiser
Emory
Dartmouth
Tufts
Boston
Drexel
Temple