This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EliteN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can get into an MD school right now, but it’d be more of a gamble. IMO i really really think you should take a gap year to get significant hours in at least one category (volunteering, clinical, research). You’d be more confident, probably have more options/fin aid, and a stronger shot at top schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools from your list:
Northwestern
UChicago
Carle Illinois
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
[out of state]
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth

Georgetown
Icahn Mt. Sinai
USC Keck
UMich
Brown
Tufts
UCLA
UPitt
UWisconsin
Hofstra
UVermont
VCUCOM
USF Morsani
Kaiser Permanente
Tulane
You could add these schools:
Western Michigan
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Vanderbilt
Miami
Cincinnati
Jefferson
Rochester
Einstein
Iowa

Members don't see this ad :)
If I try, I think I can get my non-clinical total hours to around 200, and my research is at 400 hours rn total. Should I ask my PI if I can list my summer hours (like 200 more) on my current application to bump me up to 600. I would really like to avoid taking a gap year, I'm not even aiming for top schools I just want to get into a half decent medical school
Your PI has does not decide whether you list the hours. If you did them, then list it. If you’re projecting hours, it will not have as much of an impact. You could receive interviews, particularly at a stat focused school such as Vandy or WUSTL. There are mid tiers schools that also might be like to have a student with a higher MCAT score. Your state school should be also interested. The majority of accepted students took a gap year or are older.

Reactions: 1 user