WAMC and should I bother applying to MDs (3.65;505)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minsi19

Reaction score
1. cGPA: 3.65 and sGPA: 3.5
2. MCAT: 505
3. Maryland resident
4. Asian
5. Clinical hours: 500 hours in scribing, but this was done over the course of six months and I no longer work there
6. A decent amount of non clinical volunteering (all totaling around 500 hours) but no clinical volunteering
7. I did some shadowing but it was so minimal that I'm not even sure if I should bother including it, most of my clinical experience has come from scribing
8. Worked as a tutor at my university writing center for 3 years (total 2500 hours), I also have a lot of leadership within this organization including being a part of hiring committees and doing presentations to promote the writing center
9. I also presented at a conference this past March

I feel like I have decent-ish ECs but with my GPA and MCAT, I'm not sure if I should bother applying to MDs, especially since my MCAT is so low. Can someone help me compile a list of schools that should be a good shot for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Describe your non-clinical volunteering more. Yes it looks like most of your clinical experience comes from shadowing, so in what departments did you work? Definitely apply to DO schools but some MD's might be of interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Describe your non-clinical volunteering more. Yes it looks like most of your clinical experience comes from shadowing, so in what departments did you work? Definitely apply to DO schools but some MD's might be of interest.

I worked in an Emergency Department as a scribe. As for my volunteer hours, I've worked as a volunteer at my mosque for the past year and a half (around 250 hours), some of my responsibilities here included fundraising, organizing donation drives, planning and coordinating weekly services, etc. I also worked on an online, emotional support service through my university (think 7CUPs but just within the school). I provided anonymous online support to people who were facing a variety of issues including mental health and substance abuse. Ever since quarantine started, I've been doing some online volunteering, mainly on zooniverse, where I can contribute to a bunch of different research projects (I dont think I would call that volunteer though, since there really isn't a supervisor that I can list, and I'm really just doing it for my own interests, I'll likely put it under hobbies).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Maryland
George Washington
West Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
I suggest these DO schools:
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
AZCOM

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Maryland
George Washington
West Virginia
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
I suggest these DO schools:
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
Thank you for the list! A lot of the MDs that you had listed have MCAT medians around 511-513, according to MSAR. Isn't my MCAT score too low to apply to these schools?

Thank you for the list! A lot of the MDs that you had listed have MCAT medians around 511-513, according to MSAR. Isn't my MCAT score too low to apply to these schools?
I am not certain what MSAR you are looking at but the one from 2019 shows that all those MD schools have a 10th percentile for the MCAT ranging from 502 to 509. You are above the 10th percentile for several of them for OOS applicants with your 505.

1. cGPA: 3.65 and sGPA: 3.5
2. MCAT: 505
3. Maryland resident
4. Asian
5. Clinical hours: 500 hours in scribing, but this was done over the course of six months and I no longer work there
6. A decent amount of non clinical volunteering (all totaling around 500 hours) but no clinical volunteering
7. I did some shadowing but it was so minimal that I'm not even sure if I should bother including it, most of my clinical experience has come from scribing
8. Worked as a tutor at my university writing center for 3 years (total 2500 hours), I also have a lot of leadership within this organization including being a part of hiring committees and doing presentations to promote the writing center
9. I also presented at a conference this past March

I feel like I have decent-ish ECs but with my GPA and MCAT, I'm not sure if I should bother applying to MDs, especially since my MCAT is so low. Can someone help me compile a list of schools that should be a good shot for me?
I recommend:
Seton Hall
Tulane
Temple (maybe)
SLU (maybe)
WVU if from rural western MD
Oakland U Beaumont
Wayne State
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
TCU/UNT
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
U MD
Any DO school. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.