MD WAMC and what I should work on before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangescone

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remove:
Oregon
U Wash
U Wisconsin

Each for IS bias.

You are not competitive at NW or Uchicago either.

Your app is fine, but you should add more schools like: Quinnipiac, Hackensack, Wake Forest, VCU, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, maybe Miami.

Kaiser is a different ball game, but if you look at their matriculant list on their website, it’s clear that they are giving preference to UC and ivy grads (along with URM applicants). With such a small class size, I would say it’s not worth your time if you can replace that school with a more realistic one.

Sincerely,
A 515/3.82 CA ORM M1 who moved across the country for med school because schools like UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, USC, and Kaiser are some of the most competitive out there.

Remove:
Oregon
U Wash
U Wisconsin

Each for IS bias.

You are not competitive at NW or Uchicago either.

Your app is fine, but you should add more schools like: Quinnipiac, Hackensack, Wake Forest, VCU, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, maybe Miami.

Kaiser is a different ball game, but if you look at their matriculant list on their website, it’s clear that they are giving preference to UC and ivy grads (along with URM applicants). With such a small class size, I would say it’s not worth your time if you can replace that school with a more realistic one.

Sincerely,
A 515/3.82 CA ORM M1 who moved across the country for med school because schools like UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, USC, and Kaiser are some of the most competitive out there.

Yeah I figured all the California ones will be unlikely, but I have a strong preference for the West Coast lol. My family is actually from Wisconsin so I figured that might help at U Wisconsin. I will look into the schools that you suggested and trim some of the more competitive schools. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I figured all the California ones will be unlikely, but I have a strong preference for the West Coast lol. My family is actually from Wisconsin so I figured that might help at U Wisconsin. I will look into the schools that you suggested and trim some of the more competitive schools. Thank you!
Oh, then U Wisco is a great idea. I’d still remove Oregon, U Wash, NW, and UChicago. I don’t see the CA schools as very realistic either, but shoot your shot I guess haha.

But same about the west haha, unfortunately there are a tonnn of applicants like us who are even more diverse and competitive, and there are relatively very few OOS friendly schools when compared with the east coast. Hopefully places like your alma mater (Santa Clara, right?), UCSB, and Pepperdine open med schools soon so we can have more opportunities to study on the beach:lol:

On a side note, I’m not sure if next cycle will be as competitive as the current one, but if it resembles this one at all, it will be even more competitive than in the past and I would recommend compiling a list of 30+ schools. 25 might not cut it—especially with west coast preference.

Oh, then U Wisco is a great idea. I’d still remove Oregon, U Wash, NW, and UChicago. I don’t see the CA schools as very realistic either, but shoot your shot I guess haha.

But same about the west haha, unfortunately there are a tonnn of applicants like us who are even more diverse and competitive, and there are relatively very few OOS friendly schools when compared with the east coast. Hopefully places like your alma mater (Santa Clara, right?), UCSB, and Pepperdine open med schools soon so we can have more opportunities to study on the beach:lol:

On a side note, I’m not sure if next cycle will be as competitive as the current one, but if it resembles this one at all, it will be even more competitive than in the past and I would recommend compiling a list of 30+ schools. 25 might not cut it—especially with west coast preference.

I know, right? California needs even more medical schools so that I can have a chance haha. I'll probably cut the ones you said. Maybe keep a couple California ones just to be hopeful. I am nervous about if the next cycle will be more competitive because so many people delayed due to covid, so I am looking to add to my list so that I can cover more bases. Thanks for your help!

I know, right? California needs even more medical schools so that I can have a chance haha. I'll probably cut the ones you said. Maybe keep a couple California ones just to be hopeful. I am nervous about if the next cycle will be more competitive because so many people delayed due to covid, so I am looking to add to my list so that I can cover more bases. Thanks for your help!
Good idea. An easy way is to just look for private schools in the 510-515 range. Then filter based on where sounds cool to you! Haha

Reactions: 1 user