WAMC anesthesia - Only Comlex No USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metsa23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go back and study for step 1. That would suck and your score probably would too. I was shocked at how many people didn't have step 2 (MD and do) before interview so killing step 2 and having it with your application would probably look good. Knock step 2 out of the park. It's not hard to score better on 2 than 1.
The majority of programs are do friendly. Apply broadly.

Just do well on rotations, get the best letters you can and kill step 2

Thank you Wolverines83. You're saying my chances aren't completely limited yet, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not out of the game d/t lack of step 1. You might get a few interviews even if you don't take step 2. But with a good step 2 (above average) you should get some looks. Try to do some aways or make connections to a program. Research is another way to build your cv and/or get a letter. Like wolverines83 said you'll need to apply broadly. I had the same COMLEX score with an average step 1 and 2 and applied to 73 programs. I think that was an appropriate # for me, as I was able to turn down a few interviews and still have a good number to rank. You'll have to decide what feels right to you, but probably between 40 (if regionally restricted or a very focused list) to 75+ if you really want to see who bites. There's a separate thread somewhere (a few actually) that detail which programs are DO-friendly, but as noted above the vast majority are...you'll just be limited somewhat by the lack of a step 1.

Thank you Koan. I really appreciate the advice. I will def. look to apply broadly (45+ programs) and hopefully generate enough interviews

Thank you Wolverines83. You're saying my chances aren't completely limited yet, right?
Definitely not. Take step 2, apply to any and all programs you're interested in plus a bunch to make sure you've applied broad enough. Worst that can happen is you don't get a bunch of interviews. Best that can happen is you match. Now if you bomb step 2, then the situation changes but there's certainly no reason to think you're in trouble right now, at all