MD WAMC Anesthesiology Residency 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAMM21

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a WAMC thread for those of us interested in Anesthesiology Residency starting in 2020. I'm sure there are other WAMC threads, in general, but I have not been able to find many newer ones. Please allow me to start:

What are my chances of matching at higher ranking programs, namely Mayo in Rochester, Duke, Vanderbilt, U Mich, U Penn, Cleveland clinic in Cleveland, Columbia, U Wash

Step 1: 241
Step 2: not yet taken
Clinical grades: 1H in Psych, 1 HP in Neuro, rest P's (H/HP/P scale)
Grades first 2 years: all P's (H/P scale)
Medical school: low tier
Class Rank: Unknown

Pubs: 0
Research experience: Capstone (psycho-social topic unrelated to anesthesia) and 2 undergrad (1 presentation).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You’ll definitely match a respectable program but probably not Stanford, Duke, or Brigham.

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll definitely match a respectable program but probably not Stanford, Duke, or Brigham.
That's kinda what I was thinking, too, and don't want to waste my time applying for unreachable positions. Any thoughts on eligibility for Mayo, Rochester?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll join:

Step 1: 252
Step 2: August

Clinical grades: All Honors, waiting on peds and family medicine.

Preclinical: mostly P with 2 HP

School: unranked

Research: lots of posters/case reports, nothing published. Working on original work but not likely in time for ERAS. Maybe one case report published in time if lucky.

Where can I expect to land?

Hoping for CA but not from there.

21Rush12: u will likely get interviews from all the places u are interested in considering you have a strong personal statement and good LORs in anesthesia.

AAMM21: me and a friend had same step 1 score as u, we matched UofM and CC. work on crushing step 2, and get good LORs. Mayo is likely out of reach. Vandy is iffy, i met people on the interview trail with great stats who did an away there and did not even get invited for an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
21Rush12: u will likely get interviews from all the places u are interested in considering you have a strong personal statement and good LORs in anesthesia.

AAMM21: me and a friend had same step 1 score as u, we matched UofM and CC. work on crushing step 2, and get good LORs. Mayo is likely out of reach. Vandy is iffy, i met people on the interview trail with great stats who did an away there and did not even get invited for an interview.

Thank you for the encouragement!

I always somewhat worry about not being from California, I’m hoping I can get a look based on the rest of my app. I’d be happy in NY or Boston also but it’s not my ideal case.

xClashx: Thank you for sharing; that was very helpful! What year are you now? Did you have research/pubs/presentations? Unfortunately, Mayo is my top choice, but it does seem a bit out of reach to say the least.... :(

xClashx: Thank you for sharing; that was very helpful! What year are you now? Did you have research/pubs/presentations? Unfortunately, Mayo is my top choice, but it does seem a bit out of reach to say the least.... :(

I just matched this year. 2 pubs in non anesthesia. Try to do an away at Mayo if you can. Don't be disheartened. If you match at any "top 40" programs, you will get great training and get any fellowship you want.

If you like Mayo b/c of location/ fam reasons, I understand. But at the end of the day, you will be enjoying something you love doing.

• Love
Also would like to jump in to know where I stand on receiving interviews to top programs in the NE and midwest (MGH, BW, NYP/columbia/cornell, UMich, NW, WUSTL, UChicago, Penn), and whether or not im wasting money by applying to these places

Step 2: 263
Only 1 HP in surgery during rotations, rest were passes (H/HP/P scale) (I think this is my only red flag)
H in my ICU subI, anesthesia subI, medicine subI
Medical school: Top 15
Class Rank: middle third probably

Pubs: 2 (1 non-anesthesia related, 1 opioid related), otherwise lots of posters and oral presentation on non-anesthesia stuff.

Thanks in advance for any input.

@warrior209

My friend interviewed at BW with high 230s in both step1/2 but did not match there. He is from a bottom 10 US MD schools with not so much research background, though he is a vet.

• Sad
Also would like to jump in to know where I stand on receiving interviews to top programs in the NE and midwest (MGH, BW, NYP/columbia/cornell, UMich, NW, WUSTL, UChicago, Penn), and whether or not im wasting money by applying to these places

Only 1 HP in surgery during rotations, rest were passes (H/HP/P scale) (I think this is my only red flag)

Pubs: 2 (1 non-anesthesia related, 1 opioid related), otherwise lots of posters and oral presentation on non-anesthesia stuff.

Hi y'all

MS3 here, wanted to have a rough understanding of where I stand, namely in the "tiers" of programs I would be a fair applicant for, as I dont have great insight into what is available for me.

Top 15 med school, probably bottom 50% of class
STEP1: 241 STEP2: 251
Clinical Rotation grades: All Passes (including IM), High Pass in surgery
Electives: Honors in Anesthesia, Radiology, awaiting EM SubI and Genmed SubI
Good EC's, few posters and oral presentations, 1 pub in JAMA.

As mentioned before, I would mainly like to know where I stand in terms of which programs would be considered a reach for me and what would be fair game. My clinical rotation grades were pretty poor and I am afraid that's holding me back. Thank you very much.

:thinking:

Best thing to do is ask your seniors who just went through the process and matched. They are your best resource.

Most anesthesia applicants from top 10-15 medical schools match at top programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will likely get many interviews. How you interview will be of great importance as the OR is a small family and your ability to interact with many different personalities will be very important. Try auditioning at your top choices and get LORs from faculty at these programs. Good luck and Best Wishes!

• Love
Neuroticism levels are high ITT. Each program uses significantly varying criteria to select and preference candidate. Beyond step scores everything else is up in the air as to how heavily any given program will actually value it. MGH might think your ECs and research are the best thing since sliced bread, while Duke might not be that impressed since it's not directly anesthesia-focused and will more heavily favor the fact that you have local connections and a killer LoR from some big shot. You simply can't predict. PDs/APDs/interviewers get cycled out fairly regularly and the weighting of these criteria will change with the winds. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone asking "where do I stand" in this thread knows quite well where they stand but are just looking for outside affirmation to help ease the neuroticism. I'm not saying this an insult either, since I was the exact same way when applying to residency. It's hard not to be. But trust me... y'all will be fine with the CVs being posted ITT.

Reactions: 4 users
Neuroticism levels are high ITT. Each program uses significantly varying criteria to select and preference candidate. Beyond step scores everything else is up in the air as to how heavily any given program will actually value it. MGH might think your ECs and research are the best thing since sliced bread, while Duke might not be that impressed since it's not directly anesthesia-focused and will more heavily favor the fact that you have local connections and a killer LoR from some big shot. You simply can't predict. PDs/APDs/interviewers get cycled out fairly regularly and the weighting of these criteria will change with the winds. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone asking "where do I stand" in this thread knows quite well where they stand but are just looking for outside affirmation to help ease the neuroticism. I'm not saying this an insult either, since I was the exact same way when applying to residency. It's hard not to be. But trust me... y'all will be fine with the CVs being posted ITT.

I think it is helpful to hear from people with more experience or even a better understanding of the process than us as students. I think we all just wanna know where we stand and whats required to get to the next step. I Definitely agree though, I think we're all just looking for someone to scratch our itch lol.

No idea why anyone would want to jump on this sinking ship of a specialty.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Same doom and gloom rhetoric that has been going around for the last 20 years, yet the world turns and anesthesiologists keep doing fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least a nurse can't do 100% of my job.
Legally not yet but pretty close. If we are going to simplify all specialties then it doesn't take much or need a physician to do a half-ass H and P, order CT, call for consults etc
At least Anesthesia has about 40-50 years of experience dealing with the mid-level bs, we'll see if EM is up to the task

At least a nurse can't do 100% of my job.

Yeah and apparently you can't do 100% of your job either cause any time there's a difficult airway you end up calling Anesthesia to help you. You want to make big boy claims? Gotta put on your big boy pants or shut the **** up.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Yeah and apparently you can't do 100% of your job either cause any time there's a difficult airway you end up calling Anesthesia to help you. You want to make big boy claims? Gotta put on your big boy pants or shut the **** up.

giphy.gif

Anesthesia is not the enemy of EM and EM is not the enemy of anesthesia. Both specialties are victims of national corporations who swallow up practices, tell us how to do business, and take 20+% of our clinical revenues in perpetuity. They’re both sinking ships IMO.

Keep it professional or the thread will be locked. Thanks.
Has anyone obtained any elective rotations yet either through VSAS or outside of the VSAS system, directly through the individual programs?

Has anyone obtained any elective rotations yet either through VSAS or outside of the VSAS system, directly through the individual programs?

Yes, through VSAS I have one at my dream program.

I made an Anesthesiology VSAS thread too if you want to head there and discuss!

Edit: just realized you posted there already! Cool!

You will likely get an interview at YP/columbia/cornell, UMich, NW, WUSTL, UChicago, Penn. Had a friend with similar profile as yours who got interviews at those places. You have even better chances considering u are from a top 15 school. Get a strong PS, work on interview skills and you will do great.

260+ Step 1, top quartile at top 20 school but no publications. Any idea how many programs I should be applying to? Looking to pursue a career in academia so aiming for some big name programs.

I know my stats are competitive but haven't been able to find much information on chances for the top programs like MGH, Brighams, Duke, etc. for someone without research on the app. Thanks everyone!

260+ Step 1, top quartile at top 20 school but no publications. Any idea how many programs I should be applying to? Looking to pursue a career in academia so aiming for some big name programs.

I know my stats are competitive but haven't been able to find much information on chances for the top programs like MGH, Brighams, Duke, etc. for someone without research on the app. Thanks everyone!
No publications does not reflect the desire to pursue a career in academia. However, such a high step score will get you an interview at even the highest ranking schools and an invite to most. That being said, perhaps you can squeeze in a case publication or even a case presentation which are quick and easy to solidify your desire for an academic career in the eye of the admissions committee.

WAMC

US DO
step 1 - 221
comlex 1 - 501
Passed level 2 PE
Good LORs, 1 from anesthesia attending who was on admissions board for a top 10 program
Taking step/level 2 in oct

I applied to basically everywhere except california and ivy leagues

WAMC

US DO
step 1 - 221
comlex 1 - 501
Passed level 2 PE
Good LORs, 1 from anesthesia attending who was on admissions board for a top 10 program
Taking step/level 2 in oct

I applied to basically everywhere except california and ivy leagues
I have students who matched with stats like that. Maybe not a university program, but at university affiliates. One local affiliate does 1000 open hearts, transplants, level 1 trauma, high risk OB, pain, etc. Do your homework ,some affiliate programs are quite good. I think you will land a good spot

I have students who matched with stats like that. Maybe not a university program, but at university affiliates. One local affiliate does 1000 open hearts, transplants, level 1 trauma, high risk OB, pain, etc. Do your homework ,some affiliate programs are quite good. I think you will land a good spot

Thanks for sharing that with me. I'm working hard to kill step 2 in a few weeks so I can fulfill this dream

This. I was interested in applying but didnt know if I would be able to stay awake for most of the surgeries lol. Still amazed that all these 250s in here that didn’t go into Derm, Optho or something else competitive. Also amazed that people are neurotic about matching in a specialty as a USMD with the CVS posted here.

This. I was interested in applying but didnt know if I would be able to stay awake for most of the surgeries lol. Still amazed that all these 250s in here that didn’t go into Derm, Optho or something else competitive. Also amazed that people are neurotic about matching in a specialty as a USMD with the CVS posted here.
Because skin and eyes suck. God bless the people that fix them.

Not very confident but still applied to anesthesia. Had setbacks in school. I question if there is any chance for me.

Mid-west, mid-tier US MD school. During second year, mom diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Took over a year off to take care of her, returned, failed step 1, retook, passed with 200. Clerkships: mostly HP and H, 3rd quartile. Step 2 - 247. Strong letters, addressed step 1 in PS, 3 publications.

Thoughts? I don't know how to even get PDs to read my application.

Not very confident but still applied to anesthesia. Had setbacks in school. I question if there is any chance for me.

Mid-west, mid-tier US MD school. During second year, mom diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Took over a year off to take care of her, returned, failed step 1, retook, passed with 200. Clerkships: mostly HP and H, 3rd quartile. Step 2 - 247. Strong letters, addressed step 1 in PS, 3 publications.

It honestly may be tough due to you not getting past filters, but make sure to apply widely and broadly. Be realistic about the programs you apply to. And have a back-up just in case. Your step 2 improvement is good, and the rest of your app is good as well. Definitely network the best you can on your aways

I'm very sorry for your loss and what you went through in med school. Med school is hard enough . That kind of pressure is hard for most to comprehend. But, that's the hand you have to play. Try to get aways at programs where you would be competetive. Try to get a LOR from a PD. As stated by others, networking will be key, as you will be auto screened by many programs. As I stated, many university affiliates are quite good and I think you will match with broad application and strong.lobbying. Good luck and best wishes

Honestly I think one of your best bets would be to set up a meeting or something with the PD of your HOME program. Explain your situation. I figure you have much more to gain than to lose by attempting this

It honestly may be tough due to you not getting past filters, but make sure to apply widely and broadly. Be realistic about the programs you apply to. And have a back-up just in case. Your step 2 improvement is good, and the rest of your app is good as well. Definitely network the best you can on your aways
I'm very sorry for your loss and what you went through in med school. Med school is hard enough . That kind of pressure is hard for most to comprehend. But, that's the hand you have to play. Try to get aways at programs where you would be competetive. Try to get a LOR from a PD. As stated by others, networking will be key, as you will be auto screened by many programs. As I stated, many university affiliates are quite good and I think you will match with broad application and strong.lobbying. Good luck and best wishes
Honestly I think one of your best bets would be to set up a meeting or something with the PD of your HOME program. Explain your situation. I figure you have much more to gain than to lose by attempting this

Thank you all. We will see what happens I suppose. Just frustrating overall. I'd like to PDs to read and see all that was happening around that time then maybe consider my candidacy. I might email them all personally and ask them to read it if I don't hear from anyone.

Thank you all. We will see what happens I suppose. Just frustrating overall. I'd like to PDs to read and see all that was happening around that time then maybe consider my candidacy. I might email them all personally and ask them to read it if I don't hear from anyone.

Be careful though. I truly feel for you on your journey through medical training. As difficult as your life situation was, skeptical PDs will assume that they’re “excuses” and would want you to take some responsibility for your performance. It sucks because you couldn’t avoid your situation, but a narrative about how your situation led you to a stumbling block, you let it get the best of you, but you fought through it to pass the second time and how that’s shaped you as a person. That way they don’t just hear excuse making, but that you recognize what happened, taking ownership of your performance and how you persevered through the tough time.

Be careful though. I truly feel for you on your journey through medical training. As difficult as your life situation was, skeptical PDs will assume that they’re “excuses” and would want you to take some responsibility for your performance. It sucks because you couldn’t avoid your situation, but a narrative about how your situation led you to a stumbling block, you let it get the best of you, but you fought through it to pass the second time and how that’s shaped you as a person. That way they don’t just hear excuse making, but that you recognize what happened, taking ownership of your performance and how you persevered through the tough time.

Thanks, I did exactly that, tried not to use it as an excuse but just spoke about what was going on, wasn't prepared, and how I have grown from there.

Hey guys, UK FMG here. Thought I would post my stats
As I've not got many days that I can actually come for interview Ive decided to take a very ambitious approach. Ive only applied to about 15 hospitals. Pretty much all are top tier: Brigham, Mass gen, Mayo, cleveland ect. Ive done 1 or 2 mid tier backups but id be unlikely to take those over staying in the UK.
Anyway.

FMG- need visa
Step 1: 257
Step 2 CK: 260

Top 10% of class in med school finals
High-Mid tier med school in UK
National Anatomy prize at med school

BSc Undergrad- Top of class

Have worked at St Mary's Hospital in London for the past year as an intern level.

4 research experiences- no publications, one regional oral presentation and one national poster
Good LORs from top surgeons/physicians in the UK

Hey guys, UK FMG here. Thought I would post my stats
As I've not got many days that I can actually come for interview Ive decided to take a very ambitious approach. Ive only applied to about 15 hospitals. Pretty much all are top tier: Brigham, Mass gen, Mayo, cleveland ect. Ive done 1 or 2 mid tier backups but id be unlikely to take those over staying in the UK.
Anyway.

FMG- need visa
Step 1: 257
Step 2 CK: 260

Top 10% of class in med school finals
High-Mid tier med school in UK
National Anatomy prize at med school

BSc Undergrad- Top of class

Have worked at St Mary's Hospital in London for the past year as an intern level.

4 research experiences- no publications, one regional oral presentation and one national poster
Good LORs from top surgeons/physicians in the UK
Not sure how it works with you being from UK without visa but you have a great chance of getting invites at those places, I would think! I'm not an expert, but best of luck on the interview trail :)