WAMC - Apply this cycle or next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustAwesomeSauz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I am very new to all this, so I apologize if I am breaking any forum rules, but I could seriously use ALOT of help. My undergrad was no good, very bad, quite horrific (I have included stats below). I am currently pursuing a project based Masters which will be completed by June 2021 (its going slightly better than my undergrad).
DAT - I have not written it yet, but am planning to write the Canadian DAT this November. I could really use tips on whether it is a good idea to write the Canadian DAT if I am going to be applying to American schools. Which resources should I be using to prepare for the cDAT?
Cycle - Should I apply this cycle or wait to apply to the next one? I heard it is too late to apply this cycle specially because my DAT scores will probably come in by late December.
American Dental Schools - I did some preliminary research and included a list below of the schools that I think accept the cDAT. I am open to playing the lottery by applying to as many schools as required (literally willing to go broke for an acceptance).
International Dental Schools - I am also open to applying to Australian or Ireland Dental Schools - if someone can guide me of that route.

Overall - I will really appreciate all the help I can get in improving any and every aspect of my application.

Date of submission: Haven't applied yet
Overall GPA: 2.35
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
Masters (MSc - 2 year): 3.55 (so far - one more year to go)
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Haven't written it yet
State of Residence: Canada

Undergrad Attended:
York University (Toronto)
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: N/A
Minority?
Reapplicant?
No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
100+ General Dentist, 100+ Orthodontist, ~40 Denture Clinic
Volunteering Experience: 100+ Hospital, ~40 Lab Research
Employment: 5+ years working in Childcare, Part Time Research Assistant Job (one summer)
Research: Currently pursuing a masters, will have at least one publication by June 2021.
Other Extracurriculars: Like to swim, play badminton, tennis, squash (any racquet game really) and play the guitar.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Recently awarded a research grant for my Masters.
LOR type and strength: Will get one from the dental office, my masters project supervisors (2), my place of employment, my undergrad science professor.

School list:
Boston University
new york university college of dentistry
Columbia University college of dental medicine
university of Pennsylvania school of dental medicine
Harvard University school of dental medicine
university of Louisville school of dentistry
university of Connecticut school of dental medicine
university of Maryland Baltimore college of dental surgery
state university of new york at buffalo school of dental medicine
Creighton university school of dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

I’d wait. December is very late, and looking at your undergrad GPA, having a good DAT score is probably what will increase your chances the most (good job on Master’s tho).

It’s better to wait, do a gap year, make some fun money, and apply next year. Instead of blowing thousands applying this year and not getting in. A lot of dental schools will have filled their spots by the time your application is complete.

Thanks! Do you think I am limiting myself by writing the cDAT or should I prepare for the aDAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

So I am very new to all this, so I apologize if I am breaking any forum rules, but I could seriously use ALOT of help. My undergrad was no good, very bad, quite horrific (I have included stats below). I am currently pursuing a project based Masters which will be completed by June 2021 (its going slightly better than my undergrad).
DAT - I have not written it yet, but am planning to write the Canadian DAT this November. I could really use tips on whether it is a good idea to write the Canadian DAT if I am going to be applying to American schools. Which resources should I be using to prepare for the cDAT?
Cycle - Should I apply this cycle or wait to apply to the next one? I heard it is too late to apply this cycle specially because my DAT scores will probably come in by late December.
American Dental Schools - I did some preliminary research and included a list below of the schools that I think accept the cDAT. I am open to playing the lottery by applying to as many schools as required (literally willing to go broke for an acceptance).
International Dental Schools - I am also open to applying to Australian or Ireland Dental Schools - if someone can guide me of that route.

Overall - I will really appreciate all the help I can get in improving any and every aspect of my application.

Date of submission: Haven't applied yet
Overall GPA: 2.35
Science GPA: 2.24
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 2.24
Masters (MSc - 2 year): 3.55 (so far - one more year to go)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Haven't written it yet
State of Residence: Canada

Undergrad Attended: York University (Toronto)
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: N/A
Minority?
Reapplicant?
No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+ General Dentist, 100+ Orthodontist, ~40 Denture Clinic
Volunteering Experience: 100+ Hospital, ~40 Lab Research
Employment: 5+ years working in Childcare, Part Time Research Assistant Job (one summer)
Research: Currently pursuing a masters, will have at least one publication by June 2021.
Other Extracurriculars: Like to swim, play badminton, tennis, squash (any racquet game really) and play the guitar.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Recently awarded a research grant for my Masters.
LOR type and strength: Will get one from the dental office, my masters project supervisors (2), my place of employment, my undergrad science professor.

School list:
Boston University
new york university college of dentistry
Columbia University college of dental medicine
university of Pennsylvania school of dental medicine
Harvard University school of dental medicine
university of Louisville school of dentistry
university of Connecticut school of dental medicine
university of Maryland Baltimore college of dental surgery
state university of new york at buffalo school of dental medicine
Creighton university school of dentistry

take another year to solidify your master's gpa
and put some more thought into your school list 3/10 of them are in the top 4-6 most difficult to get in dental schools...

I am also an international student applying this cycle, and things are usually more difficult for us. Totally agree with @macsak to rethink about of the school list. Also, consider taking US DAT just to have more potential schools to apply for. Consider NYU, USC, UDM, Case, Touro etc which are "international friendly".