WAMC: Applying as Junior: GPA 3.269, MCAT 524

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1033738

Hi yall, here are my stats
note: I am a current junior rising senior and just recently took my MCAT
  1. cGPA: 3.269; sGPA: 3.54
  2. 524 Total:
    1. BB: 132
    2. CARS: 131
    3. CP: 131
    4. PS: 130
  3. CA-East Bay
  4. Asian Male ORM
  5. 650+ Hours clinical volunteering at the hospital
  6. 200 hours in research at my undergrad chem lab
  7. 330 hours shadowing in Cardiothoracic, orthopedic, neuro, and trauma surgery
  8. 350+ hours in volunteering at ethnic clubs in local community
  9. Held executive leadership positions at the school and regional level for organizations related to my ethnic community, setting up events and coordinating with national level leadership
My school list:
UCD
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UCSF
UCR
Kaiser SoM
Stanford (Def a high reach)
USC
All Texas Medical Schools
UW
Mayo Clinic

Is this a good school list? Is there some I should add or remove? Am I better off taking a gap year and boost my GPA a bit more?

What are my chances looking like in general?
My situation was very weird, my freshman year was awful, and I averaged a 2.4 gpa after my first semester I had two D's in Calc 1 and Chem 1 which I retook during the freshman year to sophomore year summer and got an A in both. Even after my sophomore year I only got my GPA up to a 2.8, and I just ended my junior year with a 3.2, which was honestly the best I could manage with my hectic schedule, class load per semester, and family issues at home.

That being said, I'm open to going to schools to mainly in the urban areas because that's where I have lived all of my life. Schools on the east coast I am also open to

Thank you everyone

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take a gap year and increase your cGPA. Your current cGPA is less than the 10th percentile for all those schools. The GPA-MCAT grid indicates that you would have a ~75% chance for a MD acceptance if you increase your cGPA to 3.4 to 3.59 range. A high MCAT does not make up for a low GPA .

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Excuse me: why all Texas medical schools?
A lot of my family is in Texas and I do plan on living there for my career. I have always wanted to move to Texas when I was younger but my parents were very against it up until now

A lot of my family is in Texas and I do plan on living there for my career. I have always wanted to move to Texas when I was younger but my parents were very against it up until now
Speaking probabilistically, if you're not already a Texas resident, you have an extremely slim shot to go to med school in Texas, and you have to apply through TMDSAS. I'd plan to network while attending medical school to check out residency opportunities so you can eventually set yourself up in Texas if that's where you ultimately want to go.

You took a pretty good hit to your GPA; you need a gap year. The only situation I could think of where you'd get a pass was if your freshman GPA was absolutely abysmal and your sophomore and junior years were 3.7+. Even then, I'd recommend the gap year Faha suggests. Applying now is going to hurt you.

Congratulations on the stellar MCAT, though!

I don't want to rain on your parade too, but only 8% of OOS applicants gain acceptance to the Texas state-subsidized schools.
There is one private MD school in Texas that is not a part of the 90% Texans agreement, that is TCU/UNTHSC in Ft. Worth. They use the AMCAS application, and are more interested in the applicant's personal profile than in high GPA. Anyone with a GPA >3.0 will get a secondary app. Worth adding them to your list.

You took a pretty good hit to your GPA; you need a gap year. The only situation I could think of where you'd get a pass was if your freshman GPA was absolutely abysmal and your sophomore and junior years were 3.7+. Even then, I'd recommend the gap year Faha suggests. Applying now is going to hurt you.

Congratulations on the stellar MCAT, though!
Thank you! Yeah due to certain complications there's a reason why I want to matriculate right away. Mostly due to private student loans that I will have to start paying off after a grace period with no way of keeping up with even if I took two jobs. Financial stress is pretty much the only thing pushing me to apply so early right now and if that barrier was removed it would be a major weight lifted off my shoulders, so far however, Salliemae has not been very understanding of my situation

I don't want to rain on your parade too, but only 8% of OOS applicants gain acceptance to the Texas state-subsidized schools.
There is one private MD school in Texas that is not a part of the 90% Texans agreement, that is TCU/UNTHSC in Ft. Worth. They use the AMCAS application, and are more interested in the applicant's personal profile than in high GPA. Anyone with a GPA >3.0 will get a secondary app. Worth adding them to your list.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will add it to my application list, although I really hope I will be able to make my financial situation work out and take a gap year so I can pursue a research internship I have been generously offered by my University

Thank you! Yeah due to certain complications there's a reason why I want to matriculate right away. Mostly due to private student loans that I will have to start paying off after a grace period with no way of keeping up with even if I took two jobs. Financial stress is pretty much the only thing pushing me to apply so early right now and if that barrier was removed it would be a major weight lifted off my shoulders, so far however, Salliemae has not been very understanding of my situation
OK, you might want to apply broadly. Apply to Columbia, Dartmouth, and maybe WashU, a bunch of mid tiers, some lower tier schools, and some DO schools. Good luck - it's not the best, but you've got a good reason for wanting to matriculate now. Given that you really want to matriculate now, I'd apply to about 10 DO schools - you need as much insurance as you can get that you'll get in somewhere THIS cycle. @Goro might have some advice for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.