WAMC: applying this cycle (fall 2023), much appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocolina109

Reaction score
Date of submission: April 19th
Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.31
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.30
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA: 19
PAT: 17
QR: 19
Reading: 21
Biology: 18
Gen Chem: 20
Organic Chem: 17
Total Science: 18
State of Residence: New York

Undergrad Attended: University of Michigan Ann Arbor
Major: Biomolecular Sciences, Gender & Health
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
Yes
Gap Year 1: Working as a dental assistant in Manhattan & volunteering at a nearby children's pediatric clinic
Gap Year 2: Getting my Masters in Biomolecular Sciences at either Barry, Tufts, etc

Shadowing Experience: 200 hours (Free dental clinic, general, orthodontist, endodontist)
Volunteering Experience: 1000 hours (pediatric hospital volunteer- online/in person, starting free medical clinic in Detroit, foodgathers, oral health leader at local hospital, VA hospital volunteer in radiology)
Employment: Patient Care Attendant at Michigan Medicine (300 hours), Dental Assistant (currently - 1500 hours), Online Tutor (150 hours), Organic Chemistry Laboratory Teaching Instructor (350 hours)
Research: Dental Clinical Research at Columbia Dental on head and neck cancer (700 hours)
Other Extracurriculars: V.P of Communications & Founding Executive Board Member of Pre Health Fraternity (4 semesters), President and Founder of Pediatric Volunteering Organization, Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center Student Advocate & Facilitator (5 semesters), Peer Mentor (2 semesters)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Highest Honor Scholar, Honor's List
LOR type and strength: Two from dentists that I worked with this year (very strong), science professor (took a class with and taught with)

School list:
Applying to schools very broadly, looking for OOS friendly

BU
Case Western
Indiana
USC
Loma Linda
Marquette
Midwestern (Arizona and Illinois)
NYU
Roseman
Touro
Tufts (dream school)
University of New England
Western CODM

Considering: UMich, UDM, Rutgers, Temple,

So thankful for any thoughts/feedback :) Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you in your Barry SMP now? When did you take your DAT, and are you planning to retake (20's across all sections)?
I am currently in my first gap year. Using my second gap year starting in August to start the Masters of Biomedical Science program at Barry. I just finished taking my DAT in the first week of April. I don't plan on retaking it, mostly because the process was so mentally draining and I am not sure if it is worth the retake with the rest of my application. I was also dealing with some family/mental health problems that might have attributed to me feeling drained with this process lol

Members don't see this ad :)
So this was a first DAT attempt or was it a retake? I say this because what would you do if the Barry postbac directors wanted you to retake the DAT because your chances of admission are much higher with 21 AA/20 PAT or better? Or if an admissions dean suggested you retake the DAT if you failed to get an offer after an application cycle?

Date of submission: April 19th
Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.31
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.30
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA: 19
PAT: 17
QR: 19
Reading: 21
Biology: 18
Gen Chem: 20
Organic Chem: 17
Total Science: 18
State of Residence: New York

Undergrad Attended: University of Michigan Ann Arbor
Major: Biomolecular Sciences, Gender & Health
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
Yes
Gap Year 1: Working as a dental assistant in Manhattan & volunteering at a nearby children's pediatric clinic
Gap Year 2: Getting my Masters in Biomolecular Sciences at either Barry, Tufts, etc

Shadowing Experience: 200 hours (Free dental clinic, general, orthodontist, endodontist)
Volunteering Experience: 1000 hours (pediatric hospital volunteer- online/in person, starting free medical clinic in Detroit, foodgathers, oral health leader at local hospital, VA hospital volunteer in radiology)
Employment: Patient Care Attendant at Michigan Medicine (300 hours), Dental Assistant (currently - 1500 hours), Online Tutor (150 hours), Organic Chemistry Laboratory Teaching Instructor (350 hours)
Research: Dental Clinical Research at Columbia Dental on head and neck cancer (700 hours)
Other Extracurriculars: V.P of Communications & Founding Executive Board Member of Pre Health Fraternity (4 semesters), President and Founder of Pediatric Volunteering Organization, Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center Student Advocate & Facilitator (5 semesters), Peer Mentor (2 semesters)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Highest Honor Scholar, Honor's List
LOR type and strength: Two from dentists that I worked with this year (very strong), science professor (took a class with and taught with)

School list:
Applying to schools very broadly, looking for OOS friendly

BU
Case Western
Indiana
USC
Loma Linda
Marquette
Midwestern (Arizona and Illinois)
NYU
Roseman
Touro
Tufts (dream school)
University of New England
Western CODM

Considering: UMich, UDM, Rutgers, Temple, UNC, Howard

So thankful for any thoughts/feedback :) Thank you!!
you probably need to apply to more schools
your oGPA is martriculant average, but your BCP and sGPA are below average (3.55)
your dat is well below matriculant average (20.5)
your ECs are really good, though

michigan and UNC would be huge reaches
howard is a HBCU...

Reactions: 1 user
your oGPA is martriculant average, but your BCP and sGPA are below average (3.55)

howard is a HBCU...
get as close as you can to a 4.0 at barry, and you could have a shot...

Reactions: 1 users

howard is a HBCU...
are there other schools that I should consider applying too? Michigan was purely because of my undergrad/connections through research & faculty but I will probably end up removing UNC. Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it

So this was a first DAT attempt or was it a retake? I say this because what would you do if the Barry postbac directors wanted you to retake the DAT because your chances of admission are much higher with 21 AA/20 PAT or better? Or if an admissions dean suggested you retake the DAT if you failed to get an offer after an application cycle?
This was my first DAT attempt. If it is strongly recommended that I retake the DAT, then I would likely do so. I just did not want to put myself through the process of taking the exam again if I had a shot at some schools (if that makes sense). I definitely need to apply this upcoming cycle because I do not want to take another gap year.

are there other schools that I should consider applying too? Michigan was purely because of my undergrad/connections through research & faculty but I will probably end up removing UNC. Thank you for the feedback, appreciate it
keep UM if you have connections there...
UDM, rutgers, and temple are decent additions

This was my first DAT attempt. If it is strongly recommended that I retake the DAT, then I would likely do so. I just did not want to put myself through the process of taking the exam again if I had a shot at some schools (if that makes sense). I definitely need to apply this upcoming cycle because I do not want to take another gap year.
some postbacc/SMP programs require you to retake DAT
check to see if Barry does...

some postbacc/SMP programs require you to retake DAT
check to see if Barry does...
also some programs may want to see how you do in the complete program and wouldn't want you to stop in the middle