WAMC? Applying this June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.mantis.toboggan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would love some feedback on my profile to see if there is anything I can do before applying for MD programs. I am graduating this year so I will have a gap year; currently I am in the process of applying for clinical assistant jobs. However, if there is anything I can work on, I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.77
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 519 (132/131/130/126)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian American
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Top 20, non-Ivy
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Presently working as EMT (16 months, 400ish hours), volunteered in a clinic (4 months, 12ish hours)
  7. Research experience and productivity: Chem research since fall 2016, two publications in revision (one is co-first author, one is second author), working on third publication for submission (likely second or third author), presented at 2 national conferences, 5-6 poster presentations, 3 oral presentations, recipient of scholarship for summer work
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: General inpatient dept (5 hours), colorectal surgery dept (5 hours), neuro-ophthalmology (30 hours), urgent care clinic (20 hours)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Presently volunteering at a hospice home (4 months, 20ish hours), developed outreach teaching modules for research for high school students (3 months, 50ish hours), SAT tutor for students of low income background (2014-2015,150 hours),
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): TA for chemistry labs, member of various clubs
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Research scholarship award, merit-based scholarship at current university
I believe my research experience is my strongest suit, so I have two LOR from my PI and my collaborator, respectively. Those are definitely going to be strong. I have another LOR from my advisor, with whom I took two classes with as well. I also have one from my hospice volunteer coordinator. I am looking specifically for additional clinical experience during my gap year, but if there is another area that is weak, I would like to know. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I see no reason why you would not secure severel interview offers.

Review the current MSAR information and school websites and make informed decisions about whether your profile fits what they are looking for.

If money is not an issue, would apply to at least 10 schools. Include your state school, a few reach schools, and then a handful of other schools that appeal to you mission-wise or for location.

Good stats. Should receive several invites. Apply state, leverage MSAR as a resource, and I’m sure there are folks here that can recommend specific schools to consider checking out.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all your NY schools
All 4 SUNY's
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell