WAMC as a nontraditional post-bacc student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emf65

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

It's been three years since my last post, and I'm happy to share that I've since graduated and have been working as a software engineer with Google for the past year and a half, of which I'm very proud.

But as nice as it is, I haven't been able to shake wanting to become a doctor in clinical pathology, and I think about it very often. Now that I have the ability to afford it, I want to apply to post bacc programs.

I posted on these forums three years ago as a struggling college student and received helpful and honest advice from the SDN community. I'd like to ask you for it again as I apply to post-bacc programs. My numbers aren't that great as I divided my time between courses and two or three jobs over the course of my undergraduate career (I was from a single mom family of six, so I was on my own), but I still want to try for it. What are my chances?

My WAMC nums--
Graduated: Dec 2018
cGPA on graduation: 3.023
sGPA on graduation: 2.97
Alma mater: Case Western Reserve University
Major: Computer Science (BS)
Currently living in Northern California
Software engineer at Google
White Hispanic female

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When are you planning to take the MCAT ? You need to take enough additional undergraduate level science courses at a local college to increase your sGPA to 3.0 Otherwise you will be screened out at some schools with your sGPA of 2.97. Are you fluent in Spanish ?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply. I was planning to take the MCAT sometime during or after finishing a pre-medical post-bac -- sometime within the next two years. Do you think doing well in a post-bac program will be sufficient to raise my sGPA?

My Spanish is very spare. My father is Mexican, but he left while I was young, and I haven't spoken to him in years. I would like to learn it to communicate with that side of the family someday.

When are you planning to take the MCAT ? You need to take enough additional undergraduate level science courses at a local college to increase your sGPA to 3.0 Otherwise you will be screened out at some schools with your sGPA of 2.97. Are you fluent in Spanish ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be able to raise your sGPA to 3.0 with A grades in post bacc science courses. If you score 500 on the MCAT you could receive interviews at some DO schools and possible MD schools with 505 or higher. Post your score here in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for all your help between both of my threads here. :) I will star this thread and post my score when I get it.

You should be able to raise your sGPA to 3.0 with A grades in post bacc science courses. If you score 500 on the MCAT you could receive interviews at some DO schools and possible MD schools with 505 or higher. Post your score here in the future.