WAMC? Bad HPAC rating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phosophofructokinase

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think if your science GPA is upward trending and your personal statement/writing is compelling/you tell your story well, you may be able to crack some top tiers if your MCAT score is at what your your last practice score was at (515+).

To me, working 15-20 hours a week plus keeping up all the extracurriculars you did is very impressive, especially considering your low SES and first-gen status

I think you'll get into a Texas school, but if you are wanting to go out of state I would add any private schools that are in cities you are interested in and top tiers. My suggestions:

UCLA/Drew (if you were looking to apply to all of the Historically Black Medical Schools)
Baylor (you put UIW so I wasn't sure if that was the only non-TMDSAS Texas school you were considering, Baylor's also a non-TMDSAS Texas school)
Cornell
Columbia
UPenn
UChicago
Harvard
Drexel
Duke
Penn State
Hopkins
UMiami
UMichigan
Pitt
Thomas Jefferson
George Washington
Oakland
Temple
Rush
WashU
Stanford

Also have you applied for FAP? I would look into it so that you can defray some of the application costs and apply to more schools (https://apps.aamc.org/fap/)

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad you already got FAP!

Also, if your science GPA is not upward trending, you may want to consider doing some upper division Bio science courses this summer and fall that you are confident you can get A's in in order to establish an upward trend for science.

I think schools want to see at least a year of solid science, so if after the second year of college your science GPA was fine then you are fine and don't need to do any more science courses. But if your last year of taking science is not good then yeah I think taking some science courses, getting A's, and sending them in as application updates makes sense for you to address that sGPA

Also I think if your actual MCAT sub-sections in the sciences turn out the way your last practice test came out (130s), that plus an upward trend can give a lot of confidence to admissions that today you are a much better student than the 3.25 science GPA may suggest

Good luck!

Perfect! Then I don't think that your sGPA will hold you back. Now it's just about writing the personal statement/secondaries and activities well, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
With a 514+ and a halfway decent upward trend you can apply to a dozen or so Top 20 schools that you prefer to your Texas schools.

No I haven't, but I am thinking about joining AMSA. Do you have any DO or MD schools you'd suggest I look into ? Thanks.
All your in-state schools should have AMSA or SOMA chapters as should SNMA. You don't need to join AMSA yourself unless your school already has such a prehealth AMSA chapter.