WAMC C/O 2025 (2nd time applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcevet123

Reaction score
Hello- I am a second time applicant applying to:

Iowa State, Kansas State, Midwestern, Michigan, Ohio, LSU, UF, Purdue, Tufts, Ok State, Minnesota, Ross, UC Davis, Missouri, Penn, and AVC.

Graduated one semester early with Animal Science B.S. ending with 3.86 GPA; Dean's list all semesters

Veterinary experience: approx. 2500 hours mostly small animal and exotics, some large animal/equine from school.
*will be starting research technician position at a hospital dealing with lab animals next week ~40 hours/week*
Animal experience: approx. 1150 hours as farm hand/ groom for horse farms
Non-animal related work: several years as ice cream stand server, salon receptionist, camp counselor
Volunteer: senior citizen pen pals, 5k run, 4-H clean up projects

Extra curricular: ALD honor society, DTA honor society, pre vet club, equestrian team, lab assistant (anatomy and physiology), student research project in undergrad

GRE: 297 verbal/ quant

First-gen college student/ second time vet school applicant

Very nervous for this cycle- any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello- I am a second time applicant applying to:

Iowa State, Kansas State, Midwestern, Michigan, Ohio, LSU, UF, Purdue, Tufts, Ok State, Minnesota, Ross, UC Davis, Missouri, Penn, and AVC.

Graduated one semester early with Animal Science B.S. ending with 3.86 GPA; Dean's list all semesters

Veterinary experience: approx. 2500 hours mostly small animal and exotics, some large animal/equine from school.
*will be starting research technician position at a hospital dealing with lab animals next week ~40 hours/week*
Animal experience: approx. 1150 hours as farm hand/ groom for horse farms
Non-animal related work: several years as ice cream stand server, salon receptionist, camp counselor
Volunteer: senior citizen pen pals, 5k run, 4-H clean up projects

Extra curricular: ALD honor society, DTA honor society, pre vet club, equestrian team, lab assistant (anatomy and physiology), student research project in undergrad

GRE: 297 verbal/ quant

First-gen college student/ second time vet school applicant

Very nervous for this cycle- any advice?
All of this looks pretty good tbh. I assume you did file reviews to see why you didn't get in the first time because if you had similar stats I'm a little surprised you didn't get in and always recommend what they say first and foremost. Things to consider (based on me not knowing where you applied round 1): Your essay&LOR strength as well as choices of schools. Also if you got interviews how those went. If you have an IS and it's not on that list I recommend applying to it as well. Things you could add is small animal experience like volunteering at a shelter and leadership positions if you can. When you say vet experience from school I know some schools don't count that necessarily like if it was part of a class vs actually going to a vet to shadow so reviewing how those things break down on an individual level. I think GRE average is usually ~300 combined so you're not that far off and most places aren't even considering the GRE this cycle. Include other things you like to do recreation wise like running or hiking. Really though I don't see any major red flags which usually means needing to evaluate essays, LORs and interviews. Goodluck!

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with MixedAnimals, your stats are good. Do you have an IS? Were you able to get file reviews from last cycle?

I don't know which of the schools from your list are requiring the GRE this cycle, but if a good number of them are then I'd think about doing a 30 day intensive Magoosh study and retake the GRE. A 297 isn't bad, but it's going to be tough for a school like UC Davis that puts a lot of emphasis on the quant score.

Make sure that your LOR's are strong and have a couple of trusted people read your essays. And make sure that all of your accomplishments are being highlighted. You have a lot of great things listed above :) Make sure that your 1st gen college status is noted. Are there any particular challenges regarding that that could be highlighted in an essay as something you've overcome?

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with MixedAnimals, your stats are good. Do you have an IS? Were you able to get file reviews from last cycle?

I don't know which of the schools from your list are requiring the GRE this cycle, but if a good number of them are then I'd think about doing a 30 day intensive Magoosh study and retake the GRE. A 297 isn't bad, but it's going to be tough for a school like UC Davis that puts a lot of emphasis on the quant score.

Make sure that your LOR's are strong and have a couple of trusted people read your essays. And make sure that all of your accomplishments are being highlighted. You have a lot of great things listed above :) Make sure that your 1st gen college status is noted. Are there any particular challenges regarding that that could be highlighted in an essay as something you've overcome?

Best of luck!

What are competitive GRE scores in your opinion for vet schools?

I've attached a link for updated info on admissions requirements due to Covid 19, but I still highly recommend checking with each school to make sure that it is accurate. It's not so much what I personally think a competitive score is, but how your scores fit within a school's average accepted student profile. There are always exceptions, but this is a starting point to help decide the best options to apply to.

For example UC Davis is upfront and states that nonresident students that are invited for interviews: "Nonresident students have average GPAs that are 3.90 and above with GRE quantitative scores in the mid-80th percentile."

Based on the above info, the schools on your list that are still requiring the GRE are:

UC Davis (avg quant score 163)
Oklahoma State (avg quant score 151, avg verbal score 151)
Minn (avg quant score 160, avg verbal score 155)
Penn - maybe?? (avg quant score 157, avg verbal score 157)
Ross - maybe?? (avg gre total score 305)
AVC - maybe??

I've attached links for class profiles with more data than the above posted avg scores as available for the schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I am also a second time applicant! Just looking for advice on the new cycle. Pretty nervous
first round: WSU, ISU (in state), UF, LMU, Midwestern
  • my experiences consisted of 1000 small animal, exotic
  • some volunteer work with local shelter and volunteer vet assistant
  • full time soccer player, volunteer work with children’s miracle network hospitals
GPA science - 3.5
GPA cum - 3.44
Last 45 - 3.7

3 LORS -
Bio professor, lead veterinarian, college soccer coach

Had one 1 year left before obtaining my Bachelors in Biology
Got rejected from everywhere and only 1 interview at Midwestern and was waitlisted. :(

2nd round: applied ISU (in state), Kansas, Illinois, Missouri, Midwestern, U of Arizona, CSU, NC state, Ohio

- experience now is
  • 2100 hours small animal exotic
  • 70 hours large animal (cattle and swine)
  • 10 hours equine job shadow with vet
  • 16 hours vet assistant with wildlife veterinarians (cheetahs, tigers knockdown procedures and care)
  • ^^this experience is ongoing with more vet experience with ungulate species to come
  • 600 hours carnivore/cheetah care internship (Positive reinforcement training, diet prep, enrichment, cleaning, and working in cheetah breeding and ambassador cheetah handling and training with education to the public - animals consist of Sumatran tigers, Siberian tigers, African lions, black bears, brown bears, and cheetahs
Other experience:
- 40 hours vet tech volunteer
- 10 hours pocket pet Care volunteer
- 120 hours equine barn care volunteer
- 24 hours food pantry volunteer
- 40 hours youth soccer coaching
- extensive hours waitressing and working in food industry and customer service
- 800 hours corn detasseling
- 3000 + hours college soccer player

GPA: the same except science gpa is a 3.6 now
Last 45: 3.7
Cum: 3.44