WAMC c/o 2026 Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizardmom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time applicant, feeling discouraged, I believe I am a little bit under what the ISU/UNL program will accept.
Science: 3.45
cGPA: 3.67
last 45: 3.56

Experience (hrs):
Farm animal paid intern TN: 990
vet assistant paid: 2500
herpetology research project for 2 years: 1000
surgery intern unpaid: 300
adoption counselor volunteer: 100
*just started a different vet assistant job that pays more

unrelated to animals (hrs):
barista: 100
grocery clerk since 2017 on and off: 3000

achievements/activities:
prevet club 4yrs
housing association senator 1 yr
prevet club committee head 1yr
deans list a couple times
honors student

I am currently retaking physics to bump up my science gpa for next time around but even if I do get an A, it will only go up to about 3.56 which is still below average. I plan to request a file review after first application.

Any advice, encouragement, comparisons welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Im assuming you're a NE resident if you're applying to UNL/ISU. Your advantage is that the UNL/ISU pool is really small and has a high acceptance rate in comparison to the application rate. Definitely do a file review if you're not accepted.

Likewise, if you need to apply again, consider applying out of state. There are some schools that allow residency switching to keep costs down. Nowhere will be as cheap, but worth the thought

Reactions: 1 user
First time applicant, feeling discouraged, I believe I am a little bit under what the ISU/UNL program will accept.
Science: 3.45
cGPA: 3.67
last 45: 3.56

Experience (hrs):
Farm animal paid intern TN: 990
vet assistant paid: 2500
herpetology research project for 2 years: 1000
surgery intern unpaid: 300
adoption counselor volunteer: 100
*just started a different vet assistant job that pays more

unrelated to animals (hrs):
barista: 100
grocery clerk since 2017 on and off: 3000

achievements/activities:
prevet club 4yrs
housing association senator 1 yr
prevet club committee head 1yr
deans list a couple times
honors student

I am currently retaking physics to bump up my science gpa for next time around but even if I do get an A, it will only go up to about 3.56 which is still below average. I plan to request a file review after first application.

Any advice, encouragement, comparisons welcome!
Hi! I hope you were accepted. Otherwise, contact admissions for a file review and use this year to strengthen what they suggest. Last year I was waitlisted (bottom 1/3 of the waitlist) for this program, and this year I was accepted. I honestly think the committee rewarded the growth in my application from last year significantly. I can message you privately with my stats/experiences if you would like!

Reactions: 1 users