WAMC: c/o 2026 Non-traditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canipetyourdog

Reaction score
I am a 28-year-old non-traditional student and I am trying to decide whether I want to take a gap year to gain more experiences or just apply for the next cycle and see what happens. I will be done with my biology degree after the spring of 2022. I was in the military for 6 years prior to starting school again so I don't have a whole lot of hours and animal-related experience which is what concerns me. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Schools I want to apply to: CSU (in-state), Virginia-Maryland, Oregon State University, The Ohio State University

Cumulative GPA: 3.749
science GPA: 3.75
last 45: Not sure how to calculate it

Any degrees achieved - completing a biology degree

GRE results: Haven't taken yet

Veterinary Experience:

- working as a kennel assistant/vet assistant: 1780 hours (more by the time I apply)
- Shadowing at a spay/neuter shelter clinic for 10 hours

Animal Experience:
- Volunteered at a farm sanctuary for 10 hours
- volunteered at animal clinics ~100 hours

Research Experience: None

Awards/scholarships:

- Air Force Achievement Medal, AF Outstanding Unit Award with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters, AF Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal, AF Longevity Service, USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon, AF Training Ribbon.
- Dean's List x2

Extracurriculars: Not sure what to put here. Can I put volunteers I did while I was in the Air Force? Also, I was a treasurer at my squadron's booster club and I was a physical training leader in the Air Force, do those count as extracurriculars?

Employment:
- Air Force: Customer Service Technician, reenlistment/assignment counselor, Force management technician, Passport agent, Non-commissioned Officer in charge of Force Management (2013 - 2019)

- Sales representative at Hallmark (2012-2013)

Members don't see this ad.