WAMC c/o 2026 - Soon to be 2nd Time Applicant - Lower GPA - Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felinedvm98

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am not sure if I am posting in the right place, but I am looking for advice. I am currently waitlisted at VMRCVM (OOS), but am trying to prepare in the likely event I don't get pulled off of the waitlist.
Here is my info:
Academics:
Cum GPA: ~3.2 (higher depending on if schools do grade replacement)
Last 45: 3.86
Science: between 2.9 - 3.1 depending on how schools calculate
I completed my undergrad degree in Biology in December. I am completing my last pre-req (Organic II) right now, and have also started a Master's in Veterinary Forensics from U of Florida.
Experience:
Small Animal Hospital: working in reception/pharmacy 2000 hours (as of last application, now over 3000)
Volunteering at Cat Shelter: 1500 (as of last application, now over 2000)
(I know this is very small animal heavy so I am beginning to volunteer at an exotic animal rescue and will probably have 200 or so hours by the time of application)
I did not take the GRE last cycle as none of the schools I applied to were requiring it, but i plan to take it this summer.
eLORs: Bio/Animal Science prof, academic advisor, 2 vets I work with

Here is my conundrum: My science GPA is obviously very low. I have gotten at least an A- in all upper level Bio (Cell, Micro, etc), an A in Orgo 1, got a B- in Biochem - but here is where I believe I am suffering. I got a C in Bio 1 and 2 (had some issues my freshman year). I got a B- in Chem 1 and a C+ in Physics. My question is this: should I retake the classes I did poorly in, or continue working on my Master's and take additional upper-level Bio courses (I was thinking 2 - 3 upper-level courses such as Pharmacology, Immunology, Histology and/or Zoology through Doane U this summer). I would also be taking 3 -4 Master's courses (which would be Toxicology, Pathology I, Animal Crime Scene Processing, and Skeletal Trauma (last 2 not super vet school-related, I know). I know this is a lot, but I usually take very heavy course loads.

I don't want to waste money where I shouldn't so any advice would be appreciated. I have requested file reviews at any schools that offered them, but won't hear back for a while, and I need to plan for which classes I need to take, which is why I am hoping someone here can help!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

continue working on my Master's and take additional upper-level Bio courses (I was thinking 2 - 3 upper-level courses such as Pharmacology, Immunology, Histology and/or Zoology through Doane U this summer). I would also be taking 3 -4 Master's courses (which would be Toxicology, Pathology I, Animal Crime Scene Processing, and Skeletal Trauma (last 2 not super vet school-related, I know)
I *would not* recommend taking a ton of upper division science courses at the same time between two different schools. Its definitely better to take fewer courses that are high level and ace them at this point. 12 to 14 credits (or whatever your masters requires for full time) is more than enough. I also would not spend time repeating any classes that were Bs.

When you do the file reviews, clarify with the schools which would be better: upper division science or masters program. Some schools will not factor in a masters, so double checking with them would be ideal.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied with a slightly lower cGPA and a strong last 45 and meh science GPA depending on how each school calculated it. Ditto what was said above about file reviews.

But also wanted to say that my GPAs were similar and I felt like every other part of my application had to be on point. Diversify your experiences as much as possible, have trusted friends/family critique your essays, and have people write you LORs from various aspects of your life that know you very well. I would also consider using the explanation statement to describe the “issues” you had freshman year if you feel inclined to do so. There are also a couple schools that will allow you to petition to drop your first year of undergrad grades but that may require you to retake those prereqs, which may not be financially worth it or recommended by your top school(s). I also found it helpful to apply to schools that review more holistically or that don’t use cGPA at all :)

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated UC Davis with a similar GPA to yours, slightly lower actually. I didn't apply right after I graduated and instead I took a few online science courses at my local junior college. That ended up boosting my science and cumulative GPA quite a bit, and when I applied that following year, I got into a couple different schools.