WAMC c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceHydro

Mizzou CVM c/o 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since you've already applied, what did your file reviews say? What did the schools suggest you improve? Depending on what they say, my advice to you would change.

Your science GPA is on the lower side - could you retake any really low classes, and apply to schools that do grade replacement?

If your file review says your letters of recommendation are lacking, then you need to try some new experiences and get kickass letters.

What do you want to do in veterinary medicine? If you're going into small animal med, your experiences are probably fine. If you're interested in equine practice, then you probably need more shadowing hours and a letter from an equine vet.

I know you said that you don't think more school will be helpful, but improving your science GPA could really make your application more competitive. I know mine was on the lower side as well and instead of repeating the harder science courses I didn't excel in, I'm taking different upper level science courses that I'm interested in and am capable of getting As in.

Applying to multiple schools can also increase your chances too, even if it's just 3 or 4 schools!

Since you've already applied, what did your file reviews say? What did the schools suggest you improve? Depending on what they say, my advice to you would change.

Your science GPA is on the lower side - could you retake any really low classes, and apply to schools that do grade replacement?

If your file review says your letters of recommendation are lacking, then you need to try some new experiences and get kickass letters.

What do you want to do in veterinary medicine? If you're going into small animal med, your experiences are probably fine. If you're interested in equine practice, then you probably need more shadowing hours and a letter from an equine vet.
I definitely recommend requesting file reviews. Most schools do them, request from as many as possible, especially ones you want to reapply to as they may tell you different things. One school said my main concern would be improving science GPA which is about the same as yours, and another said my application was competitive for most sections including grades but I could make it more competitive by gaining more experience (which I’ve been lacking in recent years due to school/work but got a job at a clinic which will help) and then using that experience in my essays to make them more personal and specific. So get a general idea of improvements as well as specifically for a school you want to reapply to. I’m currently on a waitlist but if I don’t get off, this will be my 3rd time applying.